Honored Contributor

Re: My evolving fashion “story”

@Still Raining   I have been living in SE Florida about 6 months of the year for 20 years.    I buy close to nothing from QVC clothing because so much of it isn't what I would wear here.  I wear what I wore summers on LI, but a huge percentage of it is the classic style I know looks best on me.

I know they have shown a number of palm prints this year, but I can't tell you where they have gone because I rarely see anyone who wears them.  Even in a room of 100 Florida residents, I would be hard put to say anyone is dressed in anything I would be unlikely to wear mid-summer any place in the nation.

The one definitely tropical item in my closet is not clothes; it's my winter quilt.  Nothing cutesy about it, nothing from the animal world, just tropical plants in the earth colors I favor (greens,  corals, tans)

One of the reason I don't buy much clothing from either QVC or HSN is that don't find either of them caters to the kind of heat 

Super Contributor

@fairydogmother -so glad you can finally be yourself!!💗

Honored Contributor

@fairydogmother ................your story validates we should wear what we like and not what is popular or the way anyone else dresses.

Glad to hear you found your old you!  Enjoy!

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

@fairydogmother "To thine own self be true."  I haven't, nor would I ever, follow fashion trends.  

Trusted Contributor

@fairydogmother   We're close in age, I just turned 70 and I moved to Florida too, but in the 1980's.  Try to picture bright neon Florida themed clothing.  Yikes!  It's not just you, I think so many women who move here go off the deep end like that, when they get rid of their "up north" wardrobe, they buy wild tropical prints on everything. Maybe it's because it feels so fresh and new from what we all wore up north for so many years. Then you start decorating your house like that too, it's too much. And in case some people don't know what Beall's is, it's a regional dept. store where everything from clothing to towels to dishes is emblazoned with  flamingos, seashells, palm trees, etc. .Complete overload. They seem to cater to the newbie Floridian.

Glad you're finally settling in and back to what's always been your real style. In S Florida it's 95 degrees now,  I won't be needing a blazer until at least December.  Have fun shopping now and Happy Birthday to you!

Trusted Contributor

@millieshops wrote:

@Still Raining   I have been living in SE Florida about 6 months of the year for 20 years.    I buy close to nothing from QVC clothing because so much of it isn't what I would wear here.  I wear what I wore summers on LI, but a huge percentage of it is the classic style I know looks best on me.

I know they have shown a number of palm prints this year, but I can't tell you where they have gone because I rarely see anyone who wears them.  Even in a room of 100 Florida residents, I would be hard put to say anyone is dressed in anything I would be unlikely to wear mid-summer any place in the nation.

The one definitely tropical item in my closet is not clothes; it's my winter quilt.  Nothing cutesy about it, nothing from the animal world, just tropical plants in the earth colors I favor (greens,  corals, tans)

One of the reason I don't buy much clothing from either QVC or HSN is that don't find either of them caters to the kind of heat 

@millieshops  Agree, if I wore a Denim and Co T shirt in S Florida right now I would keel over from heat stroke. They're as heavy as a blanket.

Honored Contributor

@fairydogmother wrote:

So. I'll be *gasp* 70 years old, three weeks from today. Past few years I've been wearing lots of embellished clothing, mostly prints and patterns, and bling. Three years ago I moved to Florida. Suddenly I had to dress in every tropical 🌴 print I could find. I liooked like a Bealls advertisement. Oh and much of my wardrobe from QVC also: Denim &Co beach pants in loud prints. Dresses.  Wildly patterned tops. Even extending this trend to my accessories like tropical/ floral printed Lug bags. Holy palm tree Batman! Not that there's anything wrong with any of this but it's not really me. It's the me I think I should be, at this age and in this state. Contrary to how I truly am deep inside; my inner fashion person is classics and solids and small scale timeless jewelry. 
My epiphany came a couple weeks ago when my daughter visited. She lives in Thailand so I only see her once a year. We were getting ready to go somewhere and I pulled out my Lug yellow floral print carousel bag. Her face! 😆 she literally did a cartoon double take of horror. I said don't you like this. She answered It only matters what YOU like. 
Welp that shocked me back to my senses and to my real fashion persona. Have donated most of the tropical prints. Ordered an unstructured ivory linen--blend blazer from Old Navy. Wore a solid navy maxi dress to church with minimal accessories. Felt great! Also ordered the Dooney Darcy satchel in navy (coincidentally that's my daughters name. It was a sign. Haha)   So I hope you've enjoyed my fashion story. Can anyone relate? 

@fairydogmother   Such a cute and great story. yes, I relate because I've always had a tailored, mostly solids, neutral wardrobe. On the other hand, when Mom was alive, she lived in FL for 20 yrs. before she and Dad moved back to NC. Her entire closet had changed to loud florals, bright colors and "Mrs. Roper" type clothing. The issue? She never changed dressing that way until she passed at 90. She enjoyed everyone seeing her when she entered a room and didn't realize they weren't looking because her long, brightly colored plastic earrings and loud outfits were drawing the attention, not HER. 

Honored Contributor

@Still Raining wrote:

I am shocked when I visit my sibling in Texas.  So very different than home.

It is hard to adjust our habits when we move.  Not sure we ever get the new place right.

QVC is very geared to a more southern client.

@Still Raining   That's odd since Q is in PA. Lol

Esteemed Contributor

@fairydogmother 

I so enjoyed your story! And all the responses.

The only time I ever dressed like the natives do was when I visited Hawaii, and bought 2 print dresses that now hang in my closet - waiting for....for, what? (shrug) I don't know.

I am the original jeans & sedate colored tee shirt (or nice blouse) girl. That, or a flowy gown when I'm playing the harp.

Esteemed Contributor

Living in the land of dust and 115 degreee temps since I was 4 I know of nothing else. I would not know how to dress for any other place. I watch The Golden Girls and wonder if people actually dress like that. If I ever had to wear a dress I would be in deep do do.