Respected Contributor

My evolving fashion “story”

[ Edited ]

So. I'll be *gasp* 70 years old, three weeks from today. Past few years I've been wearing lots of embellished clothing, mostly prints and patterns, and bling. Three years ago I moved to Florida. Suddenly I had to dress in every tropical 🌴 print I could find. I liooked like a Bealls advertisement. Oh and much of my wardrobe from QVC also: Denim &Co beach pants in loud prints. Dresses.  Wildly patterned tops. Even extending this trend to my accessories like tropical/ floral printed Lug bags. Holy palm tree Batman! Not that there's anything wrong with any of this but it's not really me. It's the me I think I should be, at this age and in this state. Contrary to how I truly am deep inside; my inner fashion person is classics and solids and small scale timeless jewelry. 
My epiphany came a couple weeks ago when my daughter visited. She lives in Thailand so I only see her once a year. We were getting ready to go somewhere and I pulled out my Lug yellow floral print carousel bag. Her face! 😆 she literally did a cartoon double take of horror. I said don't you like this. She answered It only matters what YOU like. 
Welp that shocked me back to my senses and to my real fashion persona. Have donated most of the tropical prints. Ordered an unstructured ivory linen--blend blazer from Old Navy. Wore a solid navy maxi dress to church with minimal accessories. Felt great! Also ordered the Dooney Darcy satchel in navy (coincidentally that's my daughters name. It was a sign. Haha)   So I hope you've enjoyed my fashion story. Can anyone relate? 

Harmonize the World
Esteemed Contributor

Re: My evolving fashion “story”

I am shocked when I visit my sibling in Texas.  So very different than home.

It is hard to adjust our habits when we move.  Not sure we ever get the new place right.

QVC is very geared to a more southern client.

Honored Contributor

I am always changing my look, 

contary to those here who have stuff from 20 years ago I am updating all the time.  and even classics from 20 years ago look it 

Esteemed Contributor

Welcome back to the real you @fairydogmother!  Sounds like the real you has the same fashion style as I do.  Classic, not trendy and no loud prints.  Your new outfit sounds lovely and how you felt says it all. 

Honored Contributor

@mspatmac wrote:

Welcome back to the real you @fairydogmother!  Sounds like the real you has the same fashion style as I do.  Classic, not trendy and no loud prints.  Your new outfit sounds lovely and how you felt says it all. 

I like to be current,  but trendy not spendy 

Valued Contributor

@fairydogmother - I dig that you are almost 70 and still evolving with fashion!

Happy (early) birthday!  

Honored Contributor

I tried VERY hard to be a "Jeans Girl"......but I always felt like I was wearing someone else's clothes.     

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

@fairydogmother    Living in the land of cowboys, horses, Indians and hot air balloons, I completely understand.  However, I've been so close to these things for so long, I think they're now the "authentic me".  I'd feel silly (and hot) in a linen blazer. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@fairydogmother Happy early birthday.  I enjoyed your story.  It is interesting to read how your style continues to evolve.  There are so many women stuck in a rut.  I am in my late fifties, and I generally like practical things I can wear anywhere, so classics with splashes of trends.  I hope I can continue to evolve and not get stuck, and you are definitely inspiring!

Honored Contributor

I adopted my look when JFK was in the Whitehouse.   Basically - still dress the same way - same stuff - updated styling and colors