Honored Contributor

Re: My cashmere sweaters arrived today

[ Edited ]

Mine are all 2 ply, and one of the cardies seems like it is 4 ply. I think it was something that might have been lost for a while. It is knitted with a bobble stitch. I have never seen that on a cashmere sweater before

Respected Contributor

@IMW wrote:

Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy. Good bargain hunting.

I’ve had 

great luck with “as is” clothing and jewelry.

BTW some of my cashmere sweaters are 20+ years old 

and going strong. Only issue is they must be

Depilled every once in a while. They are all two ply.

@IMW 

I have 3 (red, pale pink, baby blue) Precious Fibers cashmere twin sets I purchased here 20+ years ago. They are just as lovely as the day I bought them. (I do have to de-pill them)  I wear the red one every Christmas with an ankle length black velvet with tiny red embroidered bows on it.  I call the outfit my Christmas tradition.

Over the years I have purchased more expensive cashmere sweaters.  Most have not stood the test of time as well as my Precious Fibers.  Not all cashmere is created equal. (not all 2 ply is the same quality)  Price does not necessarily reflect the quality.

Respected Contributor

@cherry  Congratulations on your new acquisitions! Sounds like you got a fabulous deal.

I have not invested in cashmere for a number of years until yesterday.  Unlike you, I didn't get a screaming bargain. My cashmere poncho came from a local boutique and the price reflects that.  But when I walked in the door I was struck by its unusual jewel tone color -- not completely blue...not quite purple.  I roamed around the store but kept returning to it.  So now its mine!

Let's enjoy our cashmere together and in good health!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@cherry wrote:

@Kachina624  they say you can wash them. I don't think I will, but I am sure it is safe

@cherry   I wash my cashmere.  It is delicate and I just remember that, wash it by hand, cold water, Woolite, lay flat on towels to dry.  Just do not rub or it will pill.  Cashmere is bad to pill for several reasons, but the main one you wear it in cold weather and your body heats it up, which makes it pill and rubbing and creating heat makes it pill.  There is a reason furs are put in cold storage, so they won't mat up which is the equal of pill for cashmere.  There is a reason that goats and lamb get matting under their bellies, just like your long-hair dogs and cats and they require grooming.  Be careful to groom your cashmere well and it will last.  Buy one of those razor things for de-pilling.

Respected Contributor

@Nonametoday I know your advice wasn't aimed at me, but I'm going to use it.  Thanks! Heart

Honored Contributor

@Nonametoday.  Do you have to protect your cashmere from moths in the summertime?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624  all of my sweaters are in a cedar chest. You can buy cedar chips  to place in a garment bag

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Nonametoday.  Do you have to protect your cashmere from moths in the summertime?

@Kachina624   I put lavender sachets in one of those plastic storage/seal things (similar to what they are selling here at QVC but I buy the small ones).  I put 3 sweaters only in one storage container and place on the shelf in my closet.  I also hang lavender sachetsin the closet, but I don't hang any sweaters for fear they will lose their shape.  I keep lavender where there are silks, woolens, etc., to keep moths at bay and never had moths since I began doing that.  

Respected Contributor

@lulu1 I am sure you look like a vision of loveliness in

your sweater.

I agree, price doesn’t dictate quality. My oldest sweaters are from Lands End, and LL Bean. I have a real beauty from Issac. Last year I tried Amazon’s own

brand Lark &Ro. Terrific.

I am very spoiled.

Honored Contributor

@cherry. @Nonametoday. I've got a cedar chest full of wool Navajo rugs.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment