Esteemed Contributor

Re: My Resale Shop Treasure-of-a-Coat Find Today

Awesome Pearley!

They do not seem tomake those gorgeous wool coats with fur trim any more. So warm and beautiful! Several years ago I, too found a black wool coat with genuine fox shawl collar in our local Goodwill. I think I may have paid $50 or $60 for it. A treasure to me!

Honored Contributor

@Pearlee That sounds beautiful...hope you enjoy that bargain.I wonder what the original price would have been.I hope you post a pic.

Honored Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

@blackhole99  Thank you!  It does actually look pretty fabulous, as is the quality. 

I'm not a big resale / thrift store shopper, not like my sisters are.  Wearing used clothing doesn't much appeal to me (even though I do order some LOGO As Is) so I don't shop thrift stores much. I only happened into this one because from the window displays it looks like they had some unusual things.  And so they did. 

I also purchased a very lovely pair of vintage Austrian crystal earrings - the stones are beautiful in them and a lovely combination of colors.  The clasps say Made In Austria.  They weren't esp. cheap but were reasonable, compared to a lot of other things in that store.

I don't know why but I don't see Austrian crystals as much as I used to.

They are impeccable!   I wish I had bought more back when it was a better kept secret.

I love consignment shops, congrats on your find.

Valued Contributor

Coats are my favorite thing to look for in thrift stores. I also look for high end sweaters. I have found alot through the years.

Beckyblu

Honored Contributor

That sounds beautiful!  In past years, I have gotten some really nice coats in resale shops.  I have a wool jacket that I still wear which I purchased from them probably 5 years ago.  It's very simple and classic and I never tire of it.  What I like about these places, aside from the price, of course, is you often find things of much higher quality, uniqure items, and names you don't see in just any old store.  Enjoy and wear in good health!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

Sorry, but by you wearing real fur makes you appear that you support the slaughter of innocent animals for your wearing pleasure. Sure, you didn't originally buy it but you still bought something with real fur.  Unacceptable!

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

Lucky you!  I live in a rural area....nearest city is an hour away......I have yet to find a nice resale shop.  We have one in our town but it is not that great and her prices are high.  Last time I was in she was bringing in new merchandise, candles, etc.  Not what I want to find in a resale shop.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Pearlee  wear it in health. My guess it's from the 60's or 70's ,judging from the cost and sleeve length

The used such good quality  fabrics back then. Fur was widely used back then.  It made an elegant statement.

Respected Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

Sorry, but by you wearing real fur makes you appear that you support the slaughter of innocent animals for your wearing pleasure. Sure, you didn't originally buy it but you still bought something with real fur.  Unacceptable!

She gets to decide what is acceptable and unacceptable for her, not you.

Honored Contributor

@Pearlee  You lucky duck. Where do you live and what's the address of this resale shop? Just kidding. I bought an all wool pale gray wrap coat at a resale shop. Looked like new. Looked like it was made for me. I only wanted it to wear to my son's wedding because my winter coat just didn't fit the bill. It worked out well. I loved that coat. I wore it for years but then the cuffs started looking unclean to me and the dry cleaner couldn't get them clean so, sniff, off it went to St. Vincent de Paul. Lord knows I got my use out of this coat. 60.00 umpteen years ago. But it was worth it.