Honored Contributor

My Resale Shop Treasure-of-a-Coat Find Today

[ Edited ]

I have to share my resale shop find today; it's a real treasure.

A new shop opened in my neighborhood right next to my hairdresser's so I stopped in before making my next hair appointment.  Oh, my!  I zoomed in right to an emerald green full length wool coat with gorgeous and unique decorative buttons and what appeared to be a genuine mink collar (I don't like wearing real fur, but a coat that has already been bought by someone else to me isn't as bad a my buying one at retail and supporting the fur industry).  The coat looked to be in mint condition and I tried it on - it fit to a tee.

While I was looking for the store's price tag (I had already perceived that this store was quite pricey, so I was expecting it to be out of the question to buy, esp. with the apparently genuine fur) I discovered that the original tags were still on the coat.   It is indeed 100% wool with a geunuine mink collar (medium-to-light brown mink -a nice shade against the emerald green).  And....it's from one of our most high-end,  expensive department stores in town here that closed years and years ago.   So the coat is old, no doubt, but truly in mint condition.   I looked it over really carefully because I didn't smell moth balls (YAY!) so I looked for any sign of moths but there were none.   The coat is pristine and also has no bad nor musty odor at all (I have no idea where this thing was stored for all those years).  I priced some of the other coats in the store and also the sweaters and the price on this coat just didn't make sense; I think it may have been a mistake compared to the other prices in the store.  It was $60 and it's now in my closet.  I just love it.  Anyone looking at it could tell it's a vintage item, but it's in new condition.  What a find - and it's so warm and the sleeves come just to the right place (which is hard to find for me - I have fairly short arms so most sleeves are too long).   Score!   

Oh by the way, the original price tag said $198  from who knows when?  A long time ago.  The tag was all yellowed.  There were other tags on it too from the manufacturer and about the fur.  

Respected Contributor

Re: My Resale Shop Treasure-of-a-Coat Find Today

Congratulations on your new-found treasure!

Years ago, I found a tan 100% cashmere coat with a shawl collar in my size at a thrift store for $20.  Still looking for that kind of coat, but haven't lucked in to anything yet (at a thrift store, of course).

If your face brightens when you meet a friend, you have struck gold. - unknown
Respected Contributor

There are no coincidences, the universe intended you to have that coat.

Honored Contributor

When I was very young I shopped in resale stores due to necessity and found some great deals and looked great in the clothes IMO. Thrift store shopping today at my age is out of the question. I may find a deal, but look like a little old lady in vintage clothes.LOL Enjoy your new coat, sounds fabulous.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@blackhole99  Thank you!  It does actually look pretty fabulous, as is the quality. 

I'm not a big resale / thrift store shopper, not like my sisters are.  Wearing used clothing doesn't much appeal to me (even though I do order some LOGO As Is) so I don't shop thrift stores much. I only happened into this one because from the window displays it looks like they had some unusual things.  And so they did. 

I also purchased a very lovely pair of vintage Austrian crystal earrings - the stones are beautiful in them and a lovely combination of colors.  The clasps say Made In Austria.  They weren't esp. cheap but were reasonable, compared to a lot of other things in that store.

Honored Contributor

Pearly thank you for sharing that.

My Mom had several REALLY nice winter coats. One coat she bought in Scotland. It was all down but it did not make her look like the Sta Puff Man. They were surprised at the chilly weather in Scotland so Mom needed a nice warm coat. So she bought it. She had several other coats that really were very well made.

When she passed I donated all the coats to Goodwill. I wondered if anyone wanted or bought them. Glad to here you found a coat you liked and will wear.

It makes me think maybe someone is using my Mom's coats.

Honored Contributor

@drizzellla wrote:

Pearly thank you for sharing that.

My Mom had several REALLY nice winter coats. One coat she bought in Scotland. It was all down but it did not make her look like the Sta Puff Man. They were surprised at the chilly weather in Scotland so Mom needed a nice warm coat. So she bought it. She had several other coats that really were very well made.

When she passed I donated all the coats to Goodwill. I wondered if anyone wanted or bought them. Glad to here you found a coat you liked and will wear.

It makes me think maybe someone is using my Mom's coats.

@drizzellla  Awwwwww - I'm glad my post makes you think that.   I'm sure someone did make very good use out of your mom's coats.   Thank you for donating them so someone else could use them. Love your post.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@Pearlee it is so fun to score such a treasure!  Maybe you could hang it up and take a picture on your iPad  and share it with us. It sounds 😊 lovely!

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@Pearlee it is so fun to score such a treasure!  Maybe you could hang it up and take a picture on your iPad  and share it with us. It sounds 😊 lovely!

@SeaMaiden  I could do that if I owned an iPad, which I don't!  
Thanks for your well wishes though!  Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

I enjoyed your little story about the coat.  Happy for you and wear it in good health.  I just love shopping!!!