Esteemed Contributor

Re: Movie being made about Joy Mangano!

On 9/11/2014 terrier3 said:
On 9/11/2014 brii said:
On 9/11/2014 brii said:

I don't get why there is a move being made about her. I can't imagine it's going to be very popular.

The movie will be HUGE...it's made by one of the hottest directors in Hollywood, starring one of the best actresses.

I doubt it will be "huge"

The last 2 movies the director made with Jennifer Lawrence were "Silver Linings Playbook" and "American Hustle" - two big box office & critically acclaimed hits.

That's no guarantee that a movie is going to be successful. There's a list a mile long of award-winning directors, actors, and actresses who were involved in some major clunkers too.

Kiss

Honored Contributor

Seems unlikely to win the Palme d'Or at Cannes.

Respected Contributor

On 9/11/2014 Luvmycats said:

People will see it because of Jennifer Lawrence- 99% will have absolutely no idea who Joy is. I wouldn't know either except that I have seen her name on the boards/forum. I don't watch HSN.

Joy was on QVC for many years before she went to HSN.

Respected Contributor

A movie about Joy Mangano? Gawd. Yet more proof that there is too much money in the media industry, and not enough worthy projects.

Honored Contributor

On 9/11/2014 brii said:
On 9/11/2014 brii said:

I don't get why there is a move being made about her. I can't imagine it's going to be very popular.

The movie will be HUGE...it's made by one of the hottest directors in Hollywood, starring one of the best actresses.

I doubt it will be "huge"

The last 2 movies the director made with Jennifer Lawrence were "Silver Linings Playbook" and "American Hustle" - two big box office & critically acclaimed hits.

That means absolutely nothing.

Super Contributor

If Joy puts enough of her own money in it, it can be done. Anyone can "buy" a producer somewhere and have a movie made, if the price is right !! Will it be good or not? Who knows? But it will be made, shown somewhere, and you always have the bragging rights !!! {#emotions_dlg.lol}

Don't get a big head now , Joy !! {#emotions_dlg.lol}

Honored Contributor

On 9/12/2014 hopeQ1 said:

If Joy puts enough of her own money in it, it can be done. Anyone can "buy" a producer somewhere and have a movie made, if the price is right !! Will it be good or not? Who knows? But it will be made, shown somewhere, and you always have the bragging rights !!! {#emotions_dlg.lol}

Joy isn't financing this movie - it's being made by some of Hollywood's best people & it's being released in time for Academy Award consideration, around holiday time 2015.

I doubt it will be an infomercial for her products - I'm sure they will make it much more a character study about Joy and her struggles as a single mom to make a living for her family. Jennifer Lawrence is the best actress for the role - she's fantastic!

Esteemed Contributor

On 9/12/2014 terrier3 said:
On 9/12/2014 hopeQ1 said:

Joy isn't financing this movie - it's being made by some of Hollywood's best people & it's being released in time for Academy Award consideration, around holiday time 2015.

I doubt it will be an infomercial for her products - I'm sure they will make it much more a character study about Joy and her struggles as a single mom to make a living for her family. Jennifer Lawrence is the best actress for the role - she's fantastic!

I like Jennifer Lawrence, but I have absolutely no interest in this movie. Partly because I don't think Joy's life is all that fascinating. It sounds like a joke to me, or something they would do on Saturday Night Live. I really doubt it will get a huge audience or any kind of critical acclaim. Although of course we'll have to wait and see.

I'm a fan of her Huggable Hangers and My Little Steamer, but there's no way I want to see a full-length movie about her life.

Kiss

Trusted Contributor

Ugh. Sounds like a Lifetime network movie with Susan Lucci as the main character. No interest, despite Jennifer Lawrence.
Esteemed Contributor

On 9/12/2014 mnmom said: Ugh. Sounds like a Lifetime network movie with Susan Lucci as the main character. No interest, despite Jennifer Lawrence.

I thought exactly the same thing when I first heard about it! Pretty much word for word.

Kiss