Honored Contributor

Re: Mother of the Groom dress advice needed...

@Tribesters wrote:

@Sooner

Your advice is perfect. If you knew me you'd know I'm one that likes to blend in & not stand out. I'm definitely looking for a classic & comfortable dress. 

Ha ha!  That's me!  

Honored Contributor

@Tribesters

Twice in the 90's I was rescued last minute by the Victoria's Secret catalog!

Unfortunately it's not around any more but both weddings; one was my cousin's in November DURING THE DAY! and the other I was Maid of Honor.

Spent lots of time in stores with no luck at all only to be perusing the outerwear in the catalog and happened on perfection! I still have some silk dresses I purchased from them years ago. Everything was always elegant yet understated which seems difficult to find!

How about something like this?

burgundy MOG dress.jpg

Esteemed Contributor

Alex Evenings Embellished Ballgown with Bolero Jacket

Nordstrom, around $250.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Tribesters: Congrats from another MOG. Mine is just a few weeks away!

Right now there is very little left in the stores. Much of it is marked down. You can check for a bargain, but there will be more to choose from by the end of July and going forward. 

I, too needed sleeves, not for the summer weather, but to cover my arms! I really stressed about finding a dress that would not look matronly on my plus size self. Went to a top rated bridal shop. The fabrics were too heavy and stiff, especially for a summer wedding and the prices were stupidly high! Ended up buying a very nice dress from Macy's Taking it for a hem and shortening long sleeves to 3/4 length tomorrow now that I have my shoes.

Check out the usual spots: Macy's, Lord & Taylor, Dillards, Nordies, RL etc. Do not wait once you find what you want. Sizes are often limited. Save your receipt. If the dress goes on sale, as mine did, you should get a price adjustment from CS. Macy's was great about it. BTW: I found a very limited choice of colors, Navy being the most prevalent. MOB and I will be wearing different dresses, same color: navy.

Best oF luck and Enjoy!

ETA: My dress was under $200.00, Alex Evenings. Long sleeves, no jacket, floor length. DS's wedding is also on a Friday early evening. Smiley Happy

Do not get your heart set on a color. Choose the dress that is comfortable and flattering. Very little variety out there in terms of color as mentioned above.

Ordered my dress online. Looked ok om the site; really good on- with the right bra!!

Honored Contributor

Nordstrom Rack site has some Alex Evenings (so maybe the store does, I don't know because the nearest one to me is quite a distance). I just got this dress for my Mom, not for a wedding but for something else we're going to. For 50 dollars! She's a petite but all they had were regular misses sizes, so we will get the top part of the dress altered. The jacket and the skirt fit her beautifully. It's a sleeveless dress with a jacket.

I wanted to compare for my bargain info, so I know regular Nordstroms sells that brand. I think Macy's might too. 

This dress definitely looks better in person than it does in the photo. And the sparkle is subtle and very pretty.

6399907.jpg

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Trusted Contributor

Here is a picture of the dress I'm thinking about keeping. In the picture the material looks a little plusher than it really is. It says it's a matte jersey fabric with polyester & spandex. I guess I was expecting something a little heavier weight. I though the way it draped it looked almost like a velvet material. 

IMG_0580.PNG

Trusted Contributor

@Andreatoo

That dress is beautiful. I never even thought about VS. If you looked at me from the waist down I could make that dress work! But from the waist up there isn't a push-up bra big enough for me to fill that top.... Smiley Sad 

Trusted Contributor

@colliegirls

That one is nice. It has everything I want- comfortable, a jacket & not too low cut. I'm going to check it out to see if it comes in any other colors. Thanks!

Trusted Contributor

@queendiva

Congrats to you too! You are so right about navy being the prevalent color for us Moms. Most of the dresses I've seen are navy. I've been looking for months & been so disappointed in the selections in stores. Glad to hear there will be new ones out there soon. Hope you have a fabulous time at the wedding!

Honored Contributor

@Tribesters I like the navy one you are thinking of keeping, had seen that one online. It's pretty.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"