Respected Contributor

Re: Models and clothing looking too small on them

QVC does this on a regular basis. Why? So the models can say they're wearing a small (or extra-small). The fact that the clothes look bad doesn't seem to matter.

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

When tey were showing the Halston faux suede jacket with the knit sleeves I noticed that Deanna had hers zipped up and the pockets were pulling and looked terrible.

Had to take a look.

Guuuuuuurl, that ain't a good look.

Takes a major selling point, princess seams,

and shoots that to next year. 

Ooooooof!

IMG_0325.JPG

Honored Contributor

@insomniac2 wrote:

QVC does this on a regular basis. Why? So the models can say they're wearing a small (or extra-small). The fact that the clothes look bad doesn't seem to matter.

Bingo !    It doesn't matter to them because it doesn't have a negative affect on sales.   I'm sure Qvc has a marketing reason for doing it, even if I don't know what that reason is.  Perhaps there is some subliminal message that makes us buy when we here the words....."wearing an xxs"...lol

Honored Contributor

It could be that not a full range of sizes for each item are available backstage. What I personally find misleading is the petite models who claim to be 5'1" like me, wearing a tunic which looks an OK length. I order it, try it on and it's almost to my knees. What's up with that?

Honored Contributor

The Q probably spends more on slick production than the other 2 shopping channels combined.

Between that and the very lucrative salaries to the on line personaliities I won't buy the idea that they don't have the proper sizes to fit the models, that they hired, on  hand.

The easy fix would be to hire stylists that know what they're doing!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think the easiest fix would be to just order clothing by the on-line measurements instead of going by how the clothes are fitting the models. :-)

Respected Contributor

@SaRina wrote:

I think the easiest fix would be to just order clothing by the on-line measurements instead of going by how the clothes are fitting the models. :-)

Yes.  And, I've also noticed the clothing shows a better fit on the still model pics online.  Now, why can't they do that on the live models??  I agree with all of your posts here, and have been noticing this since back when Lisa R. worked there.  She rarely wore the correct size.  I always said we should ignore the hosts, but now we need to ignore the models as well.  What's the point in presentations?

Honored Contributor

@SaRina

It's at issue because these are live demonstrations and people watch for a reason! Otherwise we would simply order online and not bother....

I personally like to see how something looks on a live individual; not a still shot that can be manipulated. I don't choose my size by the models but it certainly helps to know if a garment runs big or small; not it 'looks awful cuz it doesn't fit!' That isn't helpful to anyone!

This is not an issue on the other 2 shopping channels...

Respected Contributor

@Andreatoo wrote:

@SaRina

It's at issue because these are live demonstrations and people watch for a reason! Otherwise we would simply order online and not bother....

I personally like to see how something looks on a live individual; not a still shot that can be manipulated. I don't choose my size by the models but it certainly helps to know if a garment runs big or small; not it 'looks awful cuz it doesn't fit!' That isn't helpful to anyone!

This is not an issue on the other 2 shopping channels...

@Andreatoo, I agree that it's helpful to see clothing on a live model rather than just a still.  However, I would never think of deciding that I like a garment based on how it fits a 5'10", size 2 model. That's fantasy. :-) 

I guess I'm able to see how the garment moves, how it can be put together with other items, and I already know what looks good on me, so I just order my size.

I take more issue with QVC not representing every body type, They seem to have extremes -- either tall or short, heavy or thin and not much in between, as in Average height and weight, which is what would be more representative of me. 

Oh, and I disagree about the other channels. For example...want skin tight pants? Look at the HSN models.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SaRina

I've only seen skin tight during Diane Gilman shows and I suspect she insists on it! lol

I agree they don't represent a good portion of the population especially when you consider that, regardless of height and weight, I don't think they have a single model with hips!?