Valued Contributor

I was curious about modal since we are seeing it so often in fashions sold by QVC. Modal is made from beech trees! Who knew? They strip the fibers and then process them into reconstituted cellulose, therefore classifying the fabric as semi-synthetic. The company who makes modal claims that the process used is eco friendly and sustainable but I couldn’t find out what, if any, chemicals are used in the manufacturing process. Rayon is also made from tree fibers.

Esteemed Contributor

My sister and I were talking about modal just two days ago.  I was telling her how much I love clothes with modal in them, and she was telling me that years ago she was also researching where it came from.

That being said, I am loving the clothes from QVC that have modal in them and am more likely to buy if that is part of the mix.  I am less and less enchanted with (not that I was ever really "enchanged") liquid knit.  I love Susan's liquid knit dresses.  But as far as tops and bottoms, I think I am done with that polyester fabric.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Esteemed Contributor

@Puppy Lips wrote:

My sister and I were talking about modal just two days ago.  I was telling her how much I love clothes with modal in them, and she was telling me that years ago she was also researching where it came from.

That being said, I am loving the clothes from QVC that have modal in them and am more likely to buy if that is part of the mix.  I am less and less enchanted with (not that I was ever really "enchanged") liquid knit.  I love Susan's liquid knit dresses.  But as far as tops and bottoms, I think I am done with that polyester fabric.

I am just the opposite ... I will no longer buy any top w/ modal as part of the fabrication. My experience has not been wonderful .... wrinkles, pills, GROWS and shows flaws I don't even have. LOL.

Don't mind rayon ... but depends. Some rayon/spandex I do not like at all ... flimsy material and not breathable. I guess for my body type, I just feel more comfortable in fabrics with substance and heft.

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Modal and Tencel (lyocell) are trade names for rayon. They are all made from wood pulp and processed into fibers using various kinds of chemicals, some of which are toxic while others are not. Lyocell manufacturing is the most eco-friendly because there is recycling practices being used to make it.