Respected Contributor

Re: Mock Neck vs. Turtleneck

I was never much of either, but given the choice mock.

The last time I was really a "turtle neck girl" was in the 70's...Ann Taylor used to have, what was then an iconic look, ribbed turtle neck knit tops, in all kinds of "mod" colors (lol...*dates herself), you wore with your corduroy skirts and high waisted bells to school. Haha. Wow...that was a little time travel trip in my head!

But since...I never went for them after that phased out for me. 

Honored Contributor

There's a good article in the Wall Street Journal from 2019:

Diane Keaton’s Turtleneck Style Is Still Worth Copying

Here's an excerpt

First introduced in the 1860s, turtlenecks aren’t obviously sexy. But that’s not to say they’re lacking in allure. “[The turtleneck is] an interesting paradox because you’re all covered up, enfolded in fabric, yet, if it’s fitted, it can also…be incredibly sexy,” said Laura McLaws Helms, one half of the duo behind Marshmallow, a New York City- and Los Angeles-based brand that was born out of a hunt for the quintessential turtlenecked bodysuit. One need only look to such turtleneck-loving icons as Marilyn Monroe, Jane Fonda or Sharon Stone, who wore a short-sleeved style to the 1996 Oscars, to see her point. And then there’s Audrey Hepburn, who was the ultimate, turtleneck-clad gamin in her heyday. “Her character in ‘Funny Face’…zipping around the Greenwich Village in her turtleneck and cigarette pants, was just so classic and cool,” said Chris Benz, SVP, head of women’s design at J.Crew, where the tissue-weight cotton turtleneck is an enduring customer favorite.

Honored Contributor

I like both.  Each serves their own purpose.

Honored Contributor

I prefer neither.  I have a short neck and both look terrible on me.  However I can wear a cowl neck which is sort of similar but opens up the neck visually.

Honored Contributor

I prefer mock neck.  When I worked I had the best mock necks in about every color to wear under my sweaters.  I did not like turtlenecks back then.  I have both now.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Valued Contributor

I like a turtleneck if it's loose and unstructured. 

Traditional mock necks hit me at an uncomfortable spot and I'm always tugging on them.

I have a couple of funnel neck sweaters that are mock length that I love.

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

I like both, as well as funnel necks, as long as they don't come up too high or are tight. I absolutely hate them if there are zippers in the back though.  They always scratch me.  A variation I love is a cowl neck.  I like to wear necklaces that lay above the drape of the cowl or longer ones that hang below.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Not a fan of either, but I prefer a turtleneck.  I really dislike mock necks.

When I wear a turtleneck I prefer the loose kind, and I wear it totally "up" so it sort of "scarf-ish."

Contributor

100% turtleneck, as long as they fit snugly. I have a long skinny neck so turtlenecks work well for me. 

Respected Contributor

Never wear either. cannot stand anything clinging to my neck. Never liked mocknecks.