Valued Contributor

Re: Minor rant: It really kills me when they start mixing and matching...

Don't know if anybody saw IM show last week.  A very bold flower print dress in shades of red.  Then they put on the black, grey and cream scattered plaid sweater over it.  It looked like my husband dressed the model.  If I let him, he would leave the house with 2 different plaids and camo.  The model looked just as silly.  Everything does not go with everything.

Esteemed Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

@faeriemoon wrote:

... all the garments in these cockamamie color combinations, then say, "Doesn't this look great?!?!?"

Actually, no; it looks pretty stupid.

Rant over; carry on...

@faeriemoon***How much "Ikat" do you have? I have "0".

It just isn't pretty to me.  

Color combinations have to be done by someone with a good knowledge of the color wheel.  In domestic fabrics,  a main one is Waverly.  Their fabrics are beautiful.  We need someone that is as talented in clothing colors.

And they look like they discovered a combination when they put white with something. White goes with everything and we all know that! 

@ECBG, I do appreciate when someone is "talented" in blending colors too, which doesn't happen very often. Some men really have a talent combining color in shirts and ties. Just beautiful.

Contributor

Thank you for the compliment!  As soon as I figure out how to post a pic, I will!  But, really, the only "layering" should be when you have a very thin, see thru, garment and that's when I'd use a tank underneath.  My motto -- less is more.  Keep it simple and elegant.

Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@Alsee wrote:

All we hear is its so "chic" to layer all these ridiculous looking tops and colors.

Sorry. I think it just looks cheap.  And unfortunately some look like the Michelin Man with all those layers. To each his own.......

Not to mention, I live in the hot humid South and would have a heat stroke with all of those clingy layers, no matter how thin the fabric is!

Smiley MSN Emoticon hot 023.gif
You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Frequent Contributor

@PRIMADONNA429 wrote:

I agree!  I love, love, love LOGO tunics, but when they start piling up all these layers, it looks hideous!  It takes away from the prettiness of the piece they are featuring.  And NO, you cannot mix and match multiple colors!  UGLY!

Last time I was at the QVC Outlet, I had an opportunity to try a LOGO top to see what all the fuss was about....OMG...it looked ridiculous on me!  Way too thin!  I said to one of the ladies who worked there just who would buy these?  She replied that they need to be worn in layers but when the hot flashes start you have to start peeling them off!  LOL

Frequent Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

@faeriemoon wrote:

... all the garments in these cockamamie color combinations, then say, "Doesn't this look great?!?!?"

Actually, no; it looks pretty stupid.

Rant over; carry on...

@faeriemoon***How much "Ikat" do you have? I have "0".

It just isn't pretty to me.  

Color combinations have to be done by someone with a good knowledge of the color wheel.  In domestic fabrics,  a main one is Waverly.  Their fabrics are beautiful.  We need someone that is as talented in clothing colors.

I disagree.   Those are outdated rules that no longer apply.   Fashion is individual for each woman to decide what colors and combinations she enjoys.

Honored Contributor

@Day1128 wrote:

None of the hosts will ever say: actually, those colors do NOT look good together. 

It's all about selling!

I've noticed that Amy does her best to share HER preferences without coming right out and saying anything to the contrary. 

Amy has, I think, a sophisticated color sense.

I also think patterns can be mixed, if done carefully and judiciously, and I'm a "boomer," too.  I've always thought so.  All boomers do not think alike.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

@brii wrote:

You mean everything doesn't go with everything?

LOL

Of course it does, it's the new black.

Honored Contributor

@faeriemoon wrote:

@ECBG, another ikat goose egg here.  I just don't care for it.  

The Q really could use a good color person.  Today, when I had my little rant, Mary Beth was the offender.  But Carolyn is notorious for putting together clown outfits too.  Not necessarily on herself, but on the hangers.  It's unfortunate that many viewers who don't know better may follow her advice.

NAT:  Actually, they could use a stylist who is not colorblind, some designers who know how to do separates.  

Honored Contributor

@GingerPeach wrote:

@Day1128 wrote:

None of the hosts will ever say: actually, those colors do NOT look good together. 

It's all about selling!

I've noticed that Amy does her best to share HER preferences without coming right out and saying anything to the contrary. 

Amy has, I think, a sophisticated color sense.

I also think patterns can be mixed, if done carefully and judiciously, and I'm a "boomer," too.  I've always thought so.  All boomers do not think alike.

Amy and Albany both have good eye for color and style.  I might not always agree with everything Albany wears, but she knows how to put it together.  It does not always serve her anatomical parts well but on a hanger the idea was great.  Everything does not look good on everybody but Albanydoes know how to put things together and so do Amy and Courtney and Courtney knows how to put those odd colors together to best effect.