Respected Contributor

Re: Minimum # of Dresses & Skirts You Need?

My style is different because I love dresses and skirts! 

For me dressing up has always been a favorite activity.

There is never an issue of need--only want. 

I have many beautiful sparkling gowns and short fancy dresses that I wear on cruise ship formal nights, for New Year's Eve galas, and all special occasions--birthdays, anniversary, holidays.

I have both cold weather (velvet) and warm weather (lace--Isaac Mizrahi) dresses and skirts.

In the summer I break out my cotton shift dresses and throw them over my head so I can be cool and comfortable (Bob Mackie, Quacker Factory).

I used to wear suits with skirts every day for work, but since I am semi-retired, those outfits are not being used now.

When I am out in the garden working I wear long pants and long sleeves so the insects do not bite me, and I wear pants  and shorts for casual wear or exercise activity, but dresses always take the priority for style.

(Please don't ask about shoes!)

Contributor

A minimum? Impossible. I prefer skirts and dresses, I don't own a pair of pants or capris. The exception is athletic pants for the gym. I have about 8 winter skirts and 6 winter dresses and at least that many for summer.

I've fallen in love with 3/4 sleeve swing/a-line dresses that I can wear with tights and boots for the winter. It makes getting ready for work a breeze. In the summer I'm all about cotton skirts and t-shirts as well as short sleeve swing/a-line dresses. I find them so much more comfortable than pants.

Everyone has their own preferences. 

Respected Contributor

i don't own a pair of pants, or a skirt.  i wear dresses everyday.  and i have TONS of accessories. 

currently i have probably 40 or 50 dresses.  

if i had to, i could probably survive on 25. but i wouldn't want to.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Sorry, but I can't even comprehend why anyone would "need" dresses for singing in the choir.  Don't most people in choirs wear robes over their street clothing these days? 

Mask   Mask   Mask
Honored Contributor

@haddon9 wrote:

Zero...I haven't worn one in years and just don't like skirts or dresses.

@haddon9  @wilma 

If there's a serious need to wear a dress, I believe I still have the best, most versatile dress I've ever worn ..... 

A sleeveless black, light weight, V-neck, shark bite hem dress that almost hits mid-calf.  It can be worn with jackets and even a few times with a beaded jacket.   Flattering, sinple and goes so easily with everything.    Best dress purchase of my life.

Honored Contributor

I have four black dresses - simple / plain / ordinary styles  - can be accessorized for any occasion.  (Accessories are my "thing.") 

I think there are three or four skirts hanging in the closet. One is an animal print on white backgroud with handkerchief hem - bought it in Chico's about 20 years ago.  Love it! (Everytime I wear it someone admires it.)

Another is also from Chico's - black flared skrt with about a 6" flounce around the bottom.  All the others are black - simple styles that can be worn anywhere.

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

Sorry, but I can't even comprehend why anyone would "need" dresses for singing in the choir.  Don't most people in choirs wear robes over their street clothing these days? 

Mask   Mask   Mask

@Tinkrbl44 

We don’t wear choir robes in my church so to look nice I wear a dress. 

Honored Contributor

@FancyPhillyshopper wrote:

(Please don't ask about shoes!)

@FancyPhillyshopper 

I was thinking about a shoe challenge thread. It would be hard for me too. 😱 I love shoes! You can ignore that thread if you see it pop up. 

Valued Contributor

When I was working, I owned one dress and a couple of skirts in basic colors so I could mix and match. I also owned several blazers that were very versatile.

Now that I"ve been retired for years, I don't own any dresses or skirts. 

Esteemed Contributor

@wilma wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

Mask   Mask   Mask

@Tinkrbl44 

We don’t wear choir robes in my church so to look nice I wear a dress. 

My church choir hasn't worn robes in well over 10 years.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown