Super Contributor
Got my bleached denim knit jacket. Fits perfectly, little on the heavy side. I washed it because it had a smell to it, couldn't put my finger on it exactly until someone else mentioned getting one with mildew smell, that's it! It is a knit, little heavy, so guess I will be sending it back! So discouraged! I also received another one in denim that had a smell like insect spray. Happened once before, may be able to deal with it as have had to in the past on one other occasion.
Honored Contributor

It is probably not mildew but the chemical spray/wash they have to put on clothing made in other countries.

Super Contributor
Hmmm, maybe so, any ideas how to get it out?
Honored Contributor

I'm not sure. Maybe adding some vinegar to the wash/rinse would do the trick.

Honored Contributor

Since they insist on giving jobs to other countries & then pollute the clothes with chemicals to import them, the least they could/should do is add information on how to remove the chemicals/smell from the clothing when we buy it.

Super Contributor
Very good point!
Trusted Contributor

Well, I know they use coffee to remove bad smells from used cars.

What if you put the jacket in a plastic bag with a small cupful of ground coffee and tied the bag closed and left it that way a couple of days. It is supposed to absorb odors. I don't know if the jacket would smell like coffee, but there are worse things!

Super Contributor
Thanks for the idea, Gloria, but it is a bleached denim color and very pale color. Afraid coffee would stain it.
Respected Contributor
Years ago I heard Martha Stewart tell how to get rid of the mildew smell in books. Put books in a box and add charcoal. You can google something like this.
Super Contributor
Of course. You are right, just googled it, plenty of info.