Honored Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@Greeneyedlady21 wrote:

Katie Holmes and Jamie Foxx together at this event. I think her gown is beautiful, it's by Zac Posen. He designed Jamie's outfit too.

It's like any other theme party, some people follow it and some just wear "regular" clothes.

Katie-Holmes-and-Jamie-Foxx-Inside-Met-Gala-2019.jpg

@Greeneyedlady21 

Katie and Jamie look fabulous!  Love how Jamie's shoes match her dress.

Thanks for the "theme" clarification.  I guess I just thought they were all supposed to (or would want to) follow the theme.

I would definitely want to dress like Katie or Hailey to one of these things and not wear a burger suit.

Depending on how important the person is, not following the theme can get you banned for life by Anna Wintour.  She has banned people for many reasons.  Rarely she has changed her mind and un-banned (dis-banned?) someone. 

She has sole discretion.  Even the big designers who buy entire tables have to clear every guest with her and she can and sometimes does say no.

The arrivals are a public show for fashion lovers worldwide and for some of us entertainment -- and to publicize the exhibit at the Met's Costume Institute.   A lot of them only wear these outfits to go in and they change once inside.  In some outfits they can't possibly sit at a table and some just want to get comfy.   Then they change again, for an afterparty.

Esteemed Contributor
Ignorant question alert - does anyone know what happens to some of these dresses? This question is true for other well known red carpet moments, but may be more relevant here as some truly are costumes. Obviously, Katey Perry’s can just go back to whatever high school production of Beauty and the Beast that she got it from, but others are works of art. Does the designer have a huge warehouse where their designs are stored for (potentially) a future display or use? That’s what I’m assuming for some.

Also, anyone know how far in advance is the theme known?
Super Contributor

Wow, shows how sick and unbalanced our society has become.  What scares me the most is the fact that these people so impress our young people and are used as role models.

Super Contributor

Camp?  More like Mardi Gras or Halloween. 

Super Contributor

The way to get in is to be totally out of touch with reality and insane.

Honored Contributor

@Alter Ego wrote:
Ignorant question alert - does anyone know what happens to some of these dresses? This question is true for other well known red carpet moments, but may be more relevant here as some truly are costumes. Obviously, Katey Perry’s can just go back to whatever high school production of Beauty and the Beast that she got it from, but others are works of art. Does the designer have a huge warehouse where their designs are stored for (potentially) a future display or use? That’s what I’m assuming for some.

Also, anyone know how far in advance is the theme known?

@Alter Ego    I don't know what happens to the dresses -- perhaps some are donated? -- but I know the theme is announced in the fall.  Time is needed to assemble the actual museum exhibit.  

Here is a long but fascinating article about the Met's Costume Institute.  I was pleased and amazed to read that 165 million people saw last year's exhibition.   Wish I could have, and this year's too.  

Students use the museum for study just as art students use the art and sculpture galleries for study.  

https://www.metmuseum.org/about-the-met/curatorial-departments/the-costume-institute

Honored Contributor

Karlie Kloss in Gucci. She posted on Instagram that she was wearing this Spanx full body shaper under her dress. $148

y11y5isx3gwj45x4t0y7wqist1v782s5.jpg721527f12c6f68cd2426eb357432192e.jpeg

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

@San Antonio Gal wrote:

Here's a closer view of Hailey's dress - thong included.

Photo credit: Getty Images

She definitely has the bod for it!

@Greeneyedlady21 @San Antonio Gal @lolakimono 

Thank you for the pictures!

I need clarification concerning who everybody is!

However, my favorite is Hailey.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

41FD83C1-AB58-4570-86E2-8E26387A75F4.jpeg

Honored Contributor

F7AC4135-C858-4A4F-B3F6-0FE0BF2CB3D2.jpeg

41FD83C1-AB58-4570-86E2-8E26387A75F4.jpeg

Did not recognize her at first.

A329879F-1529-4527-B20F-3117B32B10F1.jpeg