Honored Contributor

Measuring ease in women's pants

I just read an article discussing how much ease to allow between body measurements and garment measurements, particularly pants.

The article suggests that you first measure your hips while standing, and then while seated.  The larger measurement while seated should give you the amount of ease you'd want in your pants.  This is only a general rule,and could be modified depending on fabric, whether it stretches or not, and how closely-fitted someone wants to wear their clothing.

Example:  If your hips measure 40" while standing, and 42" while seated, you'd allow for that 2" of ease in your garment.  In other words, buy the pants with the 42" hip size as shown in the size charts.

Here is the article for reference:

https://www.sfdlearningcenter DOT com/Pants-Wearing-Ease.html

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

Re: Measuring ease in women's pants

@GingerPeach 

Thanks for this link & info!

I have an ease chart for tops/jackets, but didn't have one for pants.

Very helpful!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

@GingerPeach 

I've heard the 2 inch rule for shirts (chest measurement) i.e. if your chest measures 36" then the garment should measure 38"

Honored Contributor

I have never heard the term ease used when it come to clothing

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

@I am still oxoxNor I. but just the other day when  I was trying pants at my local Nordstrom, the sales associate used the word "ease" as she was explaining why I probably wasn't in love with the pants I was trying.  They were just a tad small (not enough "ease"?) but the next size up would have needed some elaborate tailoring.  She'll give me a call as they receive other styles.

Honored Contributor

@I am still oxox 

Yes ... the term wearing ease has been around at least since the mid-50s when I learned to use patterns and sew.  

There's both positive ease.... generally used for woven fabrics and the most common when referring to garment wearing ease,

and

negative ease when you have a stretchy knit that you want to be close fitting.  

Honored Contributor

@Andreatoo wrote:

@GingerPeach 

I've heard the 2 inch rule for shirts (chest measurement) i.e. if your chest measures 36" then the garment should measure 38"

Hi @Andreatoo 

I know.  Those of us who have ever sewed know all about ease. 

I posted this thread because I hadn't heard of the standing/sitting idea before.  It's exact, yet allows you to veer off in either direction once you know what's what.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

@GingerPeach 

I don't sew but it seems to me that with all the added spandex things would get pretty ambiguous....

Like every Q host wears a xxsmall regardless of their size! Woman Wink

Trusted Contributor

@GingerPeach @Andreatoo : Well, I don’t sew so had no clue about that “ease”. Good info for me

Honored Contributor

@Andreatoo @I think that’s why every manufacturer uses stretch fabric...they say it’s for comfort but I think it is so we can all wear a smaller size...and still be comfortable

@Andreatoo wrote:

@GingerPeach 

I don't sew but it seems to me that with all the added spandex things would get pretty ambiguous....

Like every Q host wears a xxsmall regardless of their size! Woman Wink