Honored Contributor

Maybe finally clothes available IN SEASON

I read an article today (Wall St. Journal - but probably also the story idea can be found elsewhere) that some designers are beginning to make clothes available in the season in which they would be worn!   This is a departure from the traditional fashion protocol in which, as we know, designs are show well ahead of time and only available much later. 

The early showings gave fashion editors and clothing manufacturers time to put the designs in magazines and actually manufacture the clothes.  Of course, there have always been less costly imitations that would be available much sooner.  But you all know this already.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/at-new-york-fashion-week-a-bold-idea-clothes-you-can-wear-now-1455131663

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Maybe finally clothes available IN SEASON

Would be a refreshing change but everyone is gasping to get that last dollar out of your last season's handbag.

Honored Contributor

I don't know how they can do that..........It's 80 in Phoenix, and 10 in Chicago.....................so, exactly WHAT is in season?

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Super Contributor

At least they are addressing the issue!

Respected Contributor

definitely an improvement, but i'd like to see how this is going to work out.  manufacturers are really going to have to scramble to get the clothing out in a timely manner and that will probably mean higher prices.

Esteemed Contributor

That would be nice, but I don't see it lasting very long........

Since our winter here has been warmer than usual.....there are TONS of boots and winter coats at Kohls, Macy's J C Penney's that aren't moving. I am tempeted to pick one up for next year, but I really don't need another coat.

I think it would be better to  have the next seasons clothes come out just a few weeks later than they do now.....

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

This change is happening for those who see the clothes at Fashion Week in NYC & do not want to wait 6 months to purchase them. Many designers are finding that people are not present at these shows but are watching them via streaming on tablets, I Pads and computers. So there is an entire virtual audience that is viewing these Fashion Shows without being in NYC. The designers are now going to have to change the way they present clothing-- this is what the article is saying. Digital shows are happening even when people are present physically at these shows. The people are watching the shows via their phones!

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Esteemed Contributor

@ladyroxanne wrote:

definitely an improvement, but i'd like to see how this is going to work out.  manufacturers are really going to have to scramble to get the clothing out in a timely manner and that will probably mean higher prices.

It takes months for the designers and national brand companies to fulfill orders placed following runway shows for department store and boutique fashion merchandise buyers.  The designers can whip out the handful of one piece of this or that orders placed by the rich women who prefer to go direct to the designer instead of through a store,  but even for them there are fittings and fabric orders involved which take time.  

It's the manufacturing of thousand's of pieces of clothing which takes the most time.  shipping and distribution isn't quick work either. First, the stores have to wait for the orders to arrive from manufacturer (usually overseas) to their main warehouse.  Once there each item has to be tagged with the companies store SKU numbers.  The store's  buyers have to decide how many of this and if any of that will go to each of the branches across the country. Once all of that is done then add on shipping time from warehouse to stores (usully trucked acros the country).  I simply see no way to change any of this unless the runway shows cease to be celebrity events with press coverage and become private showings only for professional retail merchandise so that those folks can place their orders to get the above referenced processes started. There could be public shows for the celebrities and VIPS with media coverage for us closer to the time when the items will actually be available in stores for sale.   

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes, I've been reading about how some designers are going to be releasing their clothing lines for sale to the public just after they show their clothes at fashion week starting in the fall and some will forgo the expensive fashion shows and opt for live streaming only. They will be able to cut the legs off somewhat of the fast fashion copycatters by releasing their clothing first.

Basically social media and instagram in particular lets the public see the clothes in real time and you can see the clothes and accessories that are shown for example on NYFW on Vogue's uK website. I think it's going to be print media fashion magazines that will be cut out like an unnessary middleman. Why do luxury brands and even regular beauty and fashion brands need them anymore?

Food for thought opinion articles about it from the Business of Fashion blog:

http://www.businessoffashion.com/articles/week-in-review/a-season-like-no-other

http://www.businessoffashion.com/articles/opinion/the-roundtable-fixing-the-fashion-system

Fashion Unfiltered blog opinion about the buy it when it's shown clothes:

http://fashionunfiltered.com/news/2016/see-now-buy-now-what-then