Trusted Contributor

Re: Maxi or Midi skirts on Petites

@Shanus wrote:

@Jeanne from VA wrote:

I have very fair skin (think pale). I love maxi and midi dresses, even though I am 5'3". If I wear shorter dresses, I have to use self tanner. If I don't, the look is not good. As a senior citizen, my best look includes arms and legs both covered. I live in maxi dresses during the summer. I find them flattering and cool. I see many petite women wearing maxi dresses, and I think they look lovely. 

@Jeanne from VA   Whoa, petite and "Snow White", too here in NC. I know what you mean. I wear lightweight linen or chino pants and always long sleeves (rolled the J Crew style roll)...It's not only the best look for me, too because I try to keep the tops and bottoms in the same tone to lengthen me, but I don't have to put SPF on arms and legs. I have done a longer skirt, but the proportions were off for me unless I wore I higher heel or wedge.....NOT!

@Shanus @Jeanne from VA and all,

Thanks to all of you for your opinions and thoughts. How interesting to read so many thoughts ranging from one end of the continuum to the other.

Like @Shanus and @Jeanne from VA, I am the extra white version of "Snow White". Think about bright white legs with a multitude of purplish spider veins, broken veins...not a good look, EVER. The reason for me cringing at the idea of wearing a swimsuit. The last time I wore one was in 1989. I wear lightweight linen and 100% cotton almost exclusively in the summer, 3/4-length sleeves rolled a la J Crew or elbow-length sleeved good quality cotton tees. Sleeveless or SHORT sleeves on older, skinny, bright white arms...just, no.

Whether or not my outfit makes me look short or tall is of no consequence to me. I don't think of myself in terms of height. Weight? I would love an extra 15 pounds, being too thin can be aging, it's aging on me. Extra pounds elude me. Too much or not enough cuts both ways, right?

After reading all of your helpful comments, I think most who chimed in are not in favor of the midi/maxi skirt or dress on short women or for themselves as a short woman.

I agree that fit is key for a good look for all women, whatever our size.

Since I was 10 years old, my sweet Dad (I'm so blessed to still have him) has called me his "gypsy boots" daughter. During my teenage years, when my antics aggravated him, he often exclaimed 'if you're not walking the jagged edge, you're just not happy, are you?!'

Maybe my inclination toward the eclectic runs through my veins. 

Smiley Happy

Many thanks for your bountiful food for thought, you've offered me a lot to think on.   

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Two or more cents from @Shanus. I also could use another 10 lbs. on my 5"1" frame @Quinny , but although I pig out at every meal, snack on protein bars and shakes.....never gain weight. No haters. I have a very fast metabolism, exercise every day and have a lot of muscle which burns whatever I eat before leaving the table.

Besides no longer skirts, baggy/wide leg pantsbeach style pants, I've also donated all cropped/capri length pants. After seeing myself in a full length mirror with pants that hit at the most unattractive part of my calves, they're a NO, as well. It can't possibly be cooler to expose that extra 6"-8" of skin between capris pants and long or ankle length pants. Lol.

Trusted Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

Two or more cents from @Shanus. I also could use another 10 lbs. on my 5"1" frame @Quinny , but although I pig out at every meal, snack on protein bars and shakes.....never gain weight. No haters. I have a very fast metabolism, exercise every day and have a lot of muscle which burns whatever I eat before leaving the table.

Besides no longer skirts, baggy/wide leg pantsbeach style pants, I've also donated all cropped/capri length pants. After seeing myself in a full length mirror with pants that hit at the most unattractive part of my calves, they're a NO, as well. It can't possibly be cooler to expose that extra 6"-8" of skin between capris pants and long or ankle length pants. Lol.

@Shanus 

Smiley Very Happy Of course, it's not cool to expose that extra 6-8" of bright white skin left glowing below the hem of your capri pants! 

If only you hadn't told me of your dedication to exercise and great muscle tone... 

Any maxi skirts you'd like to get rid of??? Lol.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Quinny   Sorry, no offers for longer skirts. They don't exist in my closet.

Trusted Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@Shanus 

I apologize if something I said offended you. I understood your previous comment as a light-hearted response to my long stream of consciousness reckoning. Truly, I meant no harm or offense.

Honored Contributor

@Quinny wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

@Shanus 

I apologize if something I said offended you. I understood your previous comment as a light-hearted response to my long stream of consciousness reckoning. Truly, I meant no harm or offense.

@Quinny   I've developed a tough skin, but you didn't offend me in any way. Thanks for the apology.