Respected Contributor

Re: Maxi or Midi skirts on Petites

[ Edited ]

I'm 69 years old and 5'1" and a half.  When I wear a skirt or dress it's a maxi - I prefer maxi over midi.  And I wear wide leg pants - full length and cropped.  It all depends on the person, your style, how you carry it off.  Wear what YOU like and what you feel comfy in.

Esteemed Contributor

@elated wrote:

I am 5'1 and would not wear a Maxi or a Midi dress. I don't think it enhances your figure. They make you appear shorter and unflattering. I would wear a dress above my knees but nothing longer. I wear slim leg jeans , t shirts and blouses. I think a tunic on a short person cuts you off at the wrong place. I will never understand that appeal. 

@elated I agree about tunics in general for petites.  However, since I've gained weight I've been looking at tops that can cover my behind.  Short with all the weight and nowhere for it to but downwards and outwards.  No, no, no.  Woman Wink  I just purchased a couple of tops that are a little longer.  Woe is me....

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Honored Contributor

I don't know how some of you come up with these blanket statements on certain styles. Every garment is different; different cut, design, and fabrication can make a difference.

To say all maxis are unflattering or short gals can't wear tunics...just ludicrous.....

If you don't like a particular style or embellishment that is personally subjective but you can't (or shouldn't) apply it to every one and everything....

I happen to enjoy the fact that, depending how I'm dressed, I look taller that I am. And IN GENERAL a maxi length dress or skirt, reveals my vertical truth. That by no means means they look bad or unflattering...

Honored Contributor

I am going to weigh in on this even though I am 5"10".  I do think tunics and maxi dresses or skirts make petite people look shorter and heavier unless they are very thin.  I also feel they are not complimentary to tall people unless they are thin.  They do not look good on me because I am busty even though I am taller.    

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Sometimes a petite person looks longer (taller) when wearing midi/maxi skirts and/or dresses.  A column look. 

I believe Host Amy is petite ? and often times her body looks taller to me.

Well, I guess it depends on the style of skirt and dress.  And the color.  Maybe a large print wouldn't be as elongating as, say, a solid color.  

Well, just my thoughts right now.  I could change my mind at any moment after I think about it more.  

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

Most of the thin hosts are short.  5'4" and under.  Nearly all tops they put on are semi tucked.  Those notorious long tops of D & Co, Isaac, Susan, etc make them look like they're wearing dresses.  They have to tuck it in.  

Esteemed Contributor

Midi or Maxi styles make a petite person appear even shorter. However, if that is your comfort zone, then stick with it.

Respected Contributor

I am quite petite (5'1.5" and 100 lbs), and I wear dresses of many lengths. For me, the shoes make all the difference, so I'm very careful to try several styles and find the one that looks best with a particular outfit/length/cut. In general, very flat flats are a big no for me.

Esteemed Contributor

@riley1 wrote:

Midi or Maxi styles make a petite person appear even shorter. However, if that is your comfort zone, then stick with it.

Thank you @riley1 .  I'm not even offended by your opinion.  LOL.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Jeanne from VA wrote:

I have very fair skin (think pale). I love maxi and midi dresses, even though I am 5'3". If I wear shorter dresses, I have to use self tanner. If I don't, the look is not good. As a senior citizen, my best look includes arms and legs both covered. I live in maxi dresses during the summer. I find them flattering and cool. I see many petite women wearing maxi dresses, and I think they look lovely. 

@Jeanne from VA   Whoa, petite and "Snow White", too here in NC. I know what you mean. I wear lightweight linen or chino pants and always long sleeves (rolled the J Crew style roll)...It's not only the best look for me, too because I try to keep the tops and bottoms in the same tone to lengthen me, but I don't have to put SPF on arms and legs. I have done a longer skirt, but the proportions were off for me unless I wore I higher heel or wedge.....NOT!