Honored Contributor

Re: Maxi or Midi skirts on Petites

@Quinny wrote:

I appreciate your thoughts and opinions.

I am 5'3",  108 lbs and 60 years old. Since I was old enough to choose my own clothes, I've always felt my best and most like "me" in eclectic/boho fashions. (not the baggy, sloppy, ill-fitting skirts, dresses, tops and pants I've seen on women of all ages)

Last week, my 40-year-old daughter (her style is J. Crew, Brooks Brothers, Calvin Klein) told me midi and maxi skirts and dresses and fuller leg linen pants were 'not a "good look" on your petite figure, a change is necessary.'  

Comments?  Suggestions?  Please and thank you.

that is a tough one if you like them stay with them however perhaps something new and different and updating those favorite styles might be nice.

I am your height too and there are not many wide leg pants that work on me.  

maybe she wants to see you update your look  ?

Honored Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

@Shanus 

I'm so sorry!  Maybe she will realize style is personal.

@ECBG   Oh, don't be sorry. We're great friends still. If we weren't, I couldn't have told her that. We're just different as night and day style wise. 

I'm very low key and my theory (and the shrink I used to go to, too) is that my Mom was SO over the top with makeup, clothing and personality. I felt as a young girl, I couldn't compete, so I went the opposite. She wore a lot of bright makeup (lots) and bright large floral clothing with a lot of large jewelry and too many accessories. She always wanted to walk in the room and be the center of attention. She was a tough act to follow, so I didn't try.

DD isn't like HER, but does wear high heeled wedges, mini skirts, florals/ruffles and bright colors. She's my size, even 1/2" shorter and 100 lbs. soaking wet. 

I 've always been low key....give me Ralph Lauren, Coco Chanel, Katherine Hepburn style....the total opposite of both. DD and I always "pick" at each other in a fun, loving way. I had her at 24 or 25, so we're rather close in age and phyically look a lot alike. before I was grey haired and we both had very dark hair, people would think we were sisters. It was fun. 

Honored Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

Maxis and midi skirts can look great on petite.  The key is to keep the with more narrow so proportion is kept, keeping the person from being overwhelmed. 

We should look nice in our clothes, but our clothes shouldn't wear US.

@ECBG   As I said in my other post to you, I agree that your clothes (or look) shouldn't enter the room before you do. 

Esteemed Contributor

I'm also petite. If what you described is standard dress....flowy pants, maxis, etc., I don't know....perhaps for a special occasion...? But then everything else has to be proportionate. (jmo)

Remember that your DD is a whole other generation, and they have whole other thoughts.

My critique from DD might be my skinny jeans, loose skinnies. Sometimes that can look baggy, but that's what I like, so....

Esteemed Contributor

I guess she meant well, but it depends on how your daughter told you. If she was trying to be bossy, it wouldn't go over with me, but if she mentioned it in a a pleasant way, it might give me some suggestions. It makes a difference in the wording.

One reason I'm glad I don't have kids! 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

Whether 108 lbs. or 300 lbs. I have NEVER seen anyone look good in a Maxi. No matter what someone tells you!

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Quinny wrote:

I appreciate your thoughts and opinions.

I am 5'3",  108 lbs and 60 years old. Since I was old enough to choose my own clothes, I've always felt my best and most like "me" in eclectic/boho fashions. (not the baggy, sloppy, ill-fitting skirts, dresses, tops and pants I've seen on women of all ages)

Last week, my 40-year-old daughter (her style is J. Crew, Brooks Brothers, Calvin Klein) told me midi and maxi skirts and dresses and fuller leg linen pants were 'not a "good look" on your petite figure, a change is necessary.'  

Comments?  Suggestions?  Please and thank you.

@Quinny Wear what you like and are comfortable in.  It is silly to worry a great deal about "that isn't my best look"!  Well who wants to have to wear only one or two things to look their "best."

Have fun, wear what makes you happy (well, until you start to look foolish I'd say to most).  If you are short, like me, you are short.  A pair of pants won't make you tall!

Be happy with who you are, smile and laugh and be intereted in people--that's the best look!

Valued Contributor

I have very fair skin (think pale). I love maxi and midi dresses, even though I am 5'3". If I wear shorter dresses, I have to use self tanner. If I don't, the look is not good. As a senior citizen, my best look includes arms and legs both covered. I live in maxi dresses during the summer. I find them flattering and cool. I see many petite women wearing maxi dresses, and I think they look lovely. 

Esteemed Contributor

We're similar in size and age. I’m 5’4”, 110 lbs and love maxi and midi dresses.  I have some knee-length dresses but don’t wear them nearly as much.  I prefer more coverage and love the flowy look of longer dresses.  I actually feel more confident in these dresses.  My most recent purchase were these dresses from J Jill.  They come in various colors and prints.  The petite size works perfectly for me. 

images (1).jpg

download (1).jpg

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@cotton4me These dresses are lovely! The cap sleeves give a person the perfect arm coverage.