Honored Contributor

Re: Maxi or Midi skirts on Petites

@Shanus 

I'm so sorry!  Maybe she will realize style is personal.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Maxis and midi skirts can look great on petite.  The key is to keep the with more narrow so proportion is kept, keeping the person from being overwhelmed. 

We should look nice in our clothes, but our clothes shouldn't wear US.

Honored Contributor

@Quinny 

I don't do maxi dresses or skirts because at 5'2 I believe completely obscuring my legs shows off the fact that I'm short! LOL I have very long legs for my height so the illusion is that I am much taller than I actually am and I like to maintain that!
As for wide leg pants I like them and I think they work on us as long as the hips and waist are fitting properly and you pair it with a slim fit top

Esteemed Contributor

I M I anRe: Maxi or Midi skirts on Petites

I am a petite woman and a senior citizen.  I have always worn what I liked and that includes maxi and midi lengths ( I'm not personally a fan of wide legged pants).  Your best friend is a full length mirror and a 360 view.  I am aware of colors or color ways that flatter and I know how to accessorize.  I lived in the Orient for seven years and trust me petite women can wear anything well.

Honored Contributor

I am 4'10".....and wear gaucho and palazzo pants.....also short-shorts, and leggings....

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Quinny wrote:

I appreciate your thoughts and opinions.

I am 5'3",  108 lbs and 60 years old. Since I was old enough to choose my own clothes, I've always felt my best and most like "me" in eclectic/boho fashions. (not the baggy, sloppy, ill-fitting skirts, dresses, tops and pants I've seen on women of all ages)

Last week, my 40-year-old daughter (her style is J. Crew, Brooks Brothers, Calvin Klein) told me midi and maxi skirts and dresses and fuller leg linen pants were 'not a "good look" on your petite figure, a change is necessary.'  

Comments?  Suggestions?  Please and thank you.

@Quinny Always check the length of the garment (regardless of whether it's a midi or maxi).  I can't buy even a midi (to get a maxi) because sometimes they are too long for me.  I'm 5'0 tall.  Yepper....I look at midi dresses in the hopes of snagging what will fit like a maxi.  That doesn't always work.

I've been told years ago that for my height and figure I should wear bootcut pants/jeans or slightly flared.  Wide leg voluminous pants are a no go for me.  I don't wear capris, or cropped pants designed for petites.  It will truly look petite and this has a tendency to make me look shorter than I am, despite the fact that I can still wear a heel.  I can Long dresses are ok for short women.  As long as you don' trip over them.  (imho).

I have several maxi dresses that were purchased as petite.  I had to have them all altered.

Good luck!

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Respected Contributor

I say wear whatever you like! I am 5'1" and 107 lbs. Maxi's and midis are not for me same with wide leg pants. Ditto big 'boyfriend' shirts and big tunics. All very uflattering on me.

Respected Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

Maxis and midi skirts can look great on petite.  The key is to keep the with more narrow so proportion is kept, keeping the person from being overwhelmed. 

We should like nice in our clothes, but our clothes shouldn't wear US.

Yes, The proportion has to be just right. I always loved wearing the midi length because you could bend over and not have to worry about showing your belongings.

Esteemed Contributor

I am 5'1 and would not wear a Maxi or a Midi dress. I don't think it enhances your figure. They make you appear shorter and unflattering. I would wear a dress above my knees but nothing longer. I wear slim leg jeans , t shirts and blouses. I think a tunic on a short person cuts you off at the wrong place. I will never understand that appeal. 

Honored Contributor

I have a white below the knees skirt that is so pretty and I love. I'm not giving it up. I don't know how "flattering" it is to me, but I like wearing it.

I also have a maxi dress that I have had for years and it is very flattering,

from what compliments I've gotten.

I'm petite too so I guess it really also depends on the the garment itself.

I did have a below the knee skirt that everyone else liked but I just always felt kind of dowdy in it so I gave it away.

If you feel pretty in things, I think that is what counts.

I do listen to people's opinions but I also listen to my own 😊 

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"