Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

Maxi or Midi skirts on Petites

I appreciate your thoughts and opinions.

I am 5'3",  108 lbs and 60 years old. Since I was old enough to choose my own clothes, I've always felt my best and most like "me" in eclectic/boho fashions. (not the baggy, sloppy, ill-fitting skirts, dresses, tops and pants I've seen on women of all ages)

Last week, my 40-year-old daughter (her style is J. Crew, Brooks Brothers, Calvin Klein) told me midi and maxi skirts and dresses and fuller leg linen pants were 'not a "good look" on your petite figure, a change is necessary.'  

Comments?  Suggestions?  Please and thank you.

Honored Contributor

Re: Maxi or Midi skirts on Petites

[ Edited ]

@Quinny  I agree.  They look terrible on me.  I'm 5'4" & thin.  (110 lbs)  And I really hate them.  I prefer above the knee or at the knee.  The skirts on QVC look good, because the models are tall and the hem is above the knee.  But when I get it, it's too long.  If I really like the skirt, I get it hemmed.  Per hemming.  The newer styles of dresses and skirts have uneven hems now.  So you can't even hem them anymore.

Esteemed Contributor

you've been dressing in what makes you comfortable for years....continue to do so......

Trusted Contributor

Hello, @Quinny . I am 5'3, 112 lbs, and 55 years old.  I'm not a fan of midi or maxi skirts on me because I think they make me look shorter. I guess if the skirts hit you at the right place like just above or just below the knee, it looks more proportional on a petite. I also prefer a straight leg, narrow pant instead of a wide leg.  the grand scheme of things, wear whatever you love and makes you happy. 

Esteemed Contributor

I am 5' 1/2" & look the nicest in slightly above the knee or knee length skirts and dresses.  I also love skorts & my dh tells me I am not too old to wear them.  Lol.

Respected Contributor

@Quinny  Sounds like you are trying to hide what sounds to me like a really nice figure. Don't care for midi in most people, except maybe as a beach coverup.

Respected Contributor

I'm 5'4" and I love midi skirts. I will continue wearing them.

Respected Contributor

@Quinny   Sometimes, you just have to love grown daughters.

Were you looking for her advice,  maybe while clothes shopping together?

I  would try on  one outfit as she suggests and see how you  feel when you look in a full length mirror from all angles.  Maybe eveen buy one  ensemble.

BUT I wouldn't give up the style that  I have worn for years and am happy in.  I dress for myself.  Good look is one thing.  Good feel is another, and more important feature to me.  

And  Boho Chic still works for Diane Keaton at the age of  75!

aroc3435

Washington, DC

Esteemed Contributor

Oh those pesky daughters, and I have 2 of them.  It's amazing we can't even dress ourselves anymore LOL.  But they mean well and sometimes they can even be right!  But we are still the Moms and can do and wear what we want!  @Quinny 

Honored Contributor

@Quinny   My 47 year old daughter who just loves ruffles and girly prints told me a few years ago that I dress too tailored. Well, you can tell yours (nicely) the same thing I told mine: "Go fly a kite".