Respected Contributor

Re: Mature ladies - what's the key to looking casual without looking sloppy?

I've always been a casual lady so that's my everyday style unless I need to be fancier for events like weddings, which are far and few between because the majority of the people I know and hang with are my age and older, already married, widowed or happily single.

However, I'm also a very large lady, I wear anywhere from a 2x and up depending on fit, so I tend to be more business casual, a little dressier, but still comfortable. I don't do sweatpants or track suits or any athleisure because I feel sloppy in them. A lot of women can pull off the "just left the gym" look, but I can't. My running errands clothes are the same ones I wear to work, because I'm allowed to wear jeans to the office. 

For me, casual is jeans, a pair of flats or boots, and a decent looking tunic top or sweater. In the summer, I wear capri pants, bermuda shorts, short-sleeved or sleeveless tunics (I'm in my 40's and getting hot flashes, if people see my arms, oh well) and sandals or flip-flops. I also do maxi dresses and skirts too in warmer months. When you live in Maryland, it could be 40 degrees and then go up to 70 in one day, so I keep year-round clothes in my closet. I do have some trendy pieces - but those are trends that tend to stay around all the time and not look like you're trying to hard. 

Honored Contributor

wrote:

@jackthebearwrote:

what is considered "mature"

I may or not be there

@jackthebear  Hmmmm, mature to me in dressing is when you look around and women 1/2 your age are wearing things you don’t feel are appropriate for you. It hit me around 50. My daughter and I had this conversation because at 45, she’s still running around after the gym & just running errands on the weekend in her tight leggings, shorter top, ponytail, no makeup, etc. I pointed out that IMO she was getting close to the age where that was not a great look if she ran into her patients or husband’s colleagues. Mostly for ones own self-esteem, it feels good to leave the house looking clean, neat, pulled together and as if you made the effort. Hope that answer helped.

IMO, if you’re thinking you may “be there”, you probably are or at least getting close. BTW, mature is not a bad thing.

I am asking b/c there have been questions from ladies in their 50s asking if XXXX is OK to wear as though jeans,  as though 50 is one foot in the grave.

Gym stuff belongs at the gym no matter how old you are

sick of seeing leggings as an excuse for pants for any age

Honored Contributor

wrote:

wrote:

If you wouldn't feel good about the way you look or what you are wearing-if you saw people you knew, then don't wear it. IMO if you wear it to bed,its on its last leg(faded/pilling), or it doesn't fit well- don't wear it "out".

Depends on the climate here in the NE you throw a coat over your  sleepwear slip on your knee high boots topped off with a woolen or fur oversized hat and a pair of shades and I am good to go to the supermarket,USPS,pharmacy train station to pickup someone who doesn't care how u look no makeup required gloves if u need a manicure or not cause cold feet,hands and head are an absolute no no!

nope/nfw  I am going to the store or anywhere in sleep wear and using the climate as an excuse.

Valued Contributor

My work place is casual. I get  most of  my compliments from the younger set from both men and women. My jewelry John Hardy,Lagos,Effy. No costume jewelry,excepts for brooches,on hats or handbags, and no yellow gold unless it's accent, white metal is my jewelry choice.

.When I am out and about, I wear a shirts  tied on the side of in front over a tank top with jeans,sort of cowboy style. And yes, I was born and raise in the country. Legging with tops that cover the behind.Clothing is always coordinate.  Dresses, midi or maxi, never had the desire for a mini shirts. of hot pants.Never have I have worn high heels, love my loafers, dress shoes,low boots,from Coach to Calvin Klein, Clarks.

I am a young 62(smile) And yes you can dress up a outfit without heels, at under  4 feet and 10 1/2 I am so proudSmiley Very Happy

Hair is nest ,no matter the style.

My clothing style has not change much, no stocking for me. Nails done very two week, I do my own toes(smile). Never worn make up, and people say I look in my forties. Thanks Mom & Dad,Oil of Lay and Aveeno.Smiley Happy  

I get it, I am a morden day HippieSmiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I am in my mid 50s and casual to me would be a good pair of fitted (not tight or baggy) dark wash jeans with a nice top. I usually add a third piece like a cardigan, blazer, or leather jacket. Nice shoes might be ballet flats, loafers, or boots. In the summer, my casual look is a walk short with a nice tee and flat sandals. I don’t wear gym type clothes out of the house except to walk the dog around the neighborhood. 

Honored Contributor

@jackthebearwrote:

wrote:

@jackthebearwrote:

I may or not be there

@jackthebear  Hmmmm, mature to me in dressing is when you look around and women 1/2 your age are wearing things you don’t feel are appropriate for you. It hit me around 50. My daughter and I had this conversation because at 45, she’s still running around after the gym & just running errands on the weekend in her tight leggings, shorter top, ponytail, no makeup, etc. I pointed out that IMO she was getting close to the age where that was not a great look if she ran into her patients or husband’s colleagues. Mostly for ones own self-esteem, it feels good to leave the house looking clean, neat, pulled together and as if you made the effort. Hope that answer helped.

IMO, if you’re thinking you may “be there”, you probably are or at least getting close. BTW, mature is not a bad thing.

I am asking b/c there have been questions from ladies in their 50s asking if XXXX is OK to wear as though jeans,  as though 50 is one foot in the grave.

@jackthebear  I wasn’t going there w/ the leggings thing because the last time I did, I got a tongue lashing here. ITA, I hate the look anywhere except the gym. I don’t want to see anyone’s “business” that up close & personal. It’s at the point now where women wear them w/ high boots and earrings & think that makes them OK for restaurants, etc. 

I feel it’s just laziness to attempt to put yourself together. Heathwise, coming from the gym in your leggings after a sweaty workout and food shopping...not getting home for several hours to shower... is just asking for trouble in your lady parts. I’ve been in line in a store behind some God awful smelly, sweaty from the gym women (men, too). It’s disrespectful to others. 

Told you I shouldn’t get started. Lol 😂 

Honored Contributor

@jackthebear. BTW, 50 is not one foot in the grave, but if you live until 100, it is mathematically considered middle age. Gotta start somewhere. I think most women today tend to take better care of their minds, body and skin. I’d push that 50 maybe to 55-60.

Honored Contributor

wrote:

@jackthebearwrote:

wrote:

@jackthebearwrote:

I may or not be there

@jackthebear  I wasn’t going there w/ the leggings thing because the last time I did, I got a tongue lashing here. ITA, I hate the look anywhere except the gym. I don’t want to see anyone’s “business” that up close & personal. It’s at the point now where women wear them w/ high boots and earrings & think that makes them OK for restaurants, etc. 

I feel it’s just laziness to attempt to put yourself together. Heathwise, coming from the gym in your leggings after a sweaty workout and food shopping...not getting home for several hours to shower... is just asking for trouble in your lady parts. I’ve been in line in a store behind some God awful smelly, sweaty from the gym women (men, too). It’s disrespectful to others. 

Told you I shouldn’t get started. Lol 😂 

funny

Honored Contributor

wrote:

@jackthebear. BTW, 50 is not one foot in the grave, but if you live until 100, it is mathematically considered middle age. Gotta start somewhere. I think most women today tend to take better care of their minds, body and skin. I’d push that 50 maybe to 55-60.

it isn't at all but some of the posts/questions make it sound as though 

50 is too old for 

jeans

red or any updated or outside the box polish

any trend or updated clothing, etc 

"am I too old for ___________________" 

Honored Contributor

wrote:

If you wouldn't feel good about the way you look or what you are wearing-if you saw people you knew, then don't wear it. IMO if you wear it to bed,its on its last leg(faded/pilling), or it doesn't fit well- don't wear it "out".

@LUVNLIFE-

I think this is such a good description of how to decide. I know it is for me.

And I also know there have been times in my life where I really didn't care-and it has happened when I am feeling good and also sad.

I remember one of the hardest times, years ago I went to our local convenience store (like a wawa or 7-eleven) with mascara running down my face and I realized I didn't care because I couldn't keep wiping it off every time I cried and it didn't matter to me anymore to even hide it.I know someone's mood can totally affect how they dress sometimes, so I never look at someone and make a judgement but wonder how they are.

I have always admired people so much who always look nice and polished and just so well dressed.

I tried to do this when I was in high school trying to imitate those I admired. 

My friends asked me if I was sick lol! True story!

I like to look nice when I have the energy and I can wear nice jewelry, a scarf, and even with very casual pants and shirt I think you can look pretty. This is non-work clothes of course.

For work, I would put a lot more care and classic clothing. It does feel good to dress up when you are working or going somewhere special, but also so nice to get home and put on my most comfortable clothes!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"