Regular Contributor

Re: Mature ladies - what's the key to looking casual without looking sloppy?

So I am in my early 40's and for me a mature lady (of any age really) who looks 'put together' (as my mother says) is one with an updated hair style, some make-up (almost everyone becomes paler as we age), a few co-ordinating accessories and most of all :  confidence.  Nothing fancy clothes wise: just a woman who has figured out what she likes to wear and looks good in.

Esteemed Contributor

My idea of casual without looking sloppy is to wear nice jeans and a nice blouse or sweater or tee on top. I fix my hair, but if the wind blows, it's no big deal. Always nice shoes, too. (no scuffs or flip-flops or running shoes.)

Honored Contributor

wrote:

So I am in my early 40's and for me a mature lady (of any age really) who looks 'put together' (as my mother says) is one with an updated hair style, some make-up (almost everyone becomes paler as we age), a few co-ordinating accessories and most of all :  confidence.  Nothing fancy clothes wise: just a woman who has figured out what she likes to wear and looks good in.

@clarika  Hi. Definitely agree with the updated hair style (especially if hair is now grey, even more important, so don’t look frumpy) and blush, gloss & brows. 

Honored Contributor

wrote:

I don't think you could go wrong by having a good hair cut and a good pair of shoes. I personally don't wear gym shoes out.   

@piperbay  Gym type sneakers, no, but I’ve found stylish what I call dressy sneakers...sleeker style, some are leather. Comfortable, casual, but w/ a finished look.

Honored Contributor

wrote:

I think if you are asking that question you might be  trying too hard.  Go with your instincts and wear clothing you like and are comfortable in.

I don't and have never put a label on the way I dress as in mature dressing or for the young, etc.  I have always dressed in eclectic casual unique clothing and it is me and who I am. I get so many compliments but for many this style would just look kind of silly as it is just not them.  

Who cares what others think of what you are wearing and how you look.  The only person you have to please is yourself!

@Pook  I respectfully disagree w/ your statement “who cares what others think”. If that were the case, women would not be asking these fashion suggestions for help getting themselves together. To me, the ones that don’t care are usually the ones I wouldn’t leave the house looking like....I did say “respectfully” at the the beginning!

Honored Contributor

wrote:

wrote:

@house_cat, I'm 66 if I may chime in.  The most attractive ladies I see do have a current hair cut and manicured nails.  Their fashion is current and they don't seem to wear over one big stone if any.  Their jewelry accents what they're wearing.

They don't wear lounge wear out, but are tailored.

One thing I feel is especially bad is "making due" with a petite pant because they don't want to hem which causes the pant to "knock around the ankles" instead of touching the top of the shoe.  I see this quite often.

In your weather, I could see you in a nice colored tee with a print capri and sandals.  If you're an hourglass like me, you may want the print on the top and the solid on the bottom. A soft, neutral jacket for harsh air conditioning.  (Landsend,  Eddie Bower, Joan Rivers) and maybe one of the Women With Control denim jackets for fall.

You see what I wear to work (and the same thing out for lunches).  I work in a high quality casual store and the ladies that come in are looking for the same thing.

I love the items shown by the Style Coaching Institute on youtube.  This video is about the "Naturalist" personality and the items would work well in your climate.  The speaker started this business and she's excellent!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gl_MFxjv_tg&t=398s

@ECBG, then you have seen my "especially bad" look. I am just under 5'4" and love the new ankle look. Even my non-ankle pants are not as long as they were in the old days. I personally have gotten very used to a shorter look, so  much so that I don't really like longer pants. I would make an exception, though, very dressy pants.

@suzyQ3  ITA with loving the ankle pant/jeans (dress pants are a little longer). Ankle length is easier for me in summer since I can purchase a women’s size 2 Capri and they are perfect ankle length on me...no tailoring at the hem! In winter, they show my ankle boots & peep toe shooties.

Honored Contributor

@jackthebearwrote:

what is considered "mature"

I may or not be there

@jackthebear  Hmmmm, mature to me in dressing is when you look around and women 1/2 your age are wearing things you don’t feel are appropriate for you. It hit me around 50. My daughter and I had this conversation because at 45, she’s still running around after the gym & just running errands on the weekend in her tight leggings, shorter top, ponytail, no makeup, etc. I pointed out that IMO she was getting close to the age where that was not a great look if she ran into her patients or husband’s colleagues. Mostly for ones own self-esteem, it feels good to leave the house looking clean, neat, pulled together and as if you made the effort. Hope that answer helped.

IMO, if you’re thinking you may “be there”, you probably are or at least getting close. BTW, mature is not a bad thing.

Esteemed Contributor

@house_cat, I just wanted to mention something I noticed as my mom got into her 70's and beyond. Not speaking of your age. I noticed this with her, her friends and others her age regarding casual dressing. 

I would go and pick up my mom on weekends and take her shopping and on errands. I noticed all the time she was so much more dressed up than I was for weekend running around. She always looked nice, but different. Too much attention was paid to everything, from make-up down to her shoes. 

As women get older, they dress in a special way when going out as it becomes a special occasion. I noticed the young dressed very casually on weekend running around. 

Right now for "mature" casual, I think it's the simple "lounge wear" look. If you can afford it, expensive looking "lounge wear." Loose and expensive. Very natural looking make-up. Clean and loose hair. If any scent, just a clean scent. Unstructured and easy. Sometimes it takes more attention to look "casual" than being dressed for occasion. 

I always pay attention to what youth are wearing out. I can wear a modified version of it. 

Honored Contributor

I’m not sure if this has been mentioned, but when purging my closet, I also tossed a lot of sloppy “around the house” lounge clothes. There’s no need to ever look that way even for myself and especially when my husband comes home for dinner and I’ve been in for the day. 

The faded & older, baggy stuff was replaced w/ boyfriend jeans, more fitted women’s french terry tops instead of team sweatshirts, etc. Of course, much of that was moved upstairs to wear while doing jewelry/painting, but do shower and change clothes afterwards.

Honored Contributor

wrote:

@house_cat  Hello!  I am 62.  I steer away from trendy clothes....fringe, bell sleeves, tears in the jeans, embroidery on pants, and most of all, wear clothes that fit.  Not  these blanket shawls and tops  or mismatched things piled one on top of the other(LOGO)....if you get my drift.   Wear those in the comfort of your home....or not at all.

I dress conservative...always have.  Not boring, but,what a I like to call "classy".   Styles that do not go out of fashion. 

I would never wear yoga pants out....at home sure, but, when I go grocery shopping or to Costco, I wear something that looks nice... not dressy.  Just put together.

i swear some women just do not care how they look.  And they honestly look like slobs....which is their business, not mine.  I CHOOSE to look nice.  And put some effort into what I wear.

Even when I worked, there were those people I worked with who looked like they rolled out of bed and came  to work  in what they slept in. Wrinkled clothes.... awful. 

Maybe it has to do with our Mothers? My Mom was so beautiful and always looked like  she cared about what she looked like.  I remember kids in my class  when I was in elementary school  who would ask me "IS THAT YOUR MOM?" When my Mom was say bringing in cupcakes for  celebrating my birthday in class. I was always so proud to say "YES!"  

Well I got off track....but I think to not look sloppy....wear clothes that fit...that are not wrinkled and look like you put some effort into how you look. People do notice even if you do not think they do.

@SeaMaiden  I took the opposite example from my Mom. She was (& still is at 90) a flashy dresser w/ bright flowered prints, sequins, teased hair, blue eye shadow and coral lipstick. I did a 180 to tailored neutral clothing, natural looking makeup, etc,