Honored Contributor

Re: Mature ladies - what's the key to looking casual without looking sloppy?

there is a Facebook group called Forever Fierce that has some fashion info on it,   mixed in with too much self improvement stuff for me, but links to good fashion blogs that you might find helpful @house_cat

Honored Contributor

@jackthebear

Thank you. I'll check it out.

~ house cat ~
Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

wrote:

wrote:

@jackthebearwrote:

what is considered "mature"

I may or not be there

@jackthebear

It's subjective. You'll know when you get there.  Some of us never do, and that's fine, too.

In my case, I knew I was a mature woman when I realized that I have to buy more expensive, quality garments in order to look nice.  I have to spend what it takes to have my clothing tailored.  I need to find clothes that are stylish, but comfortable, because I've developed ZERO tolerance for uncomfortable clothing and shoes. As ladies have mentioned here, I need to keep my hair colored and trimmed every month and my nails looking nice. I am looking forward to going natural gray, but I'm not all the way there yet and I don't care for the salt/pepper look   I've never worn heavy makeup, but the handful of products I use now are expensive, but worth it.

To sum it up, it takes a lot more work now to look "natural" than it did years ago.

Well, if your 70 and trying to look 40 - I'm guessing your "natural" look would really be difficult to achieve. I'm trying to figure out what it is about being 70 that is such a crime that at all costs it must be avoided? After fighting off cancer twice I am perfectly happy to have made it this far and , while I try to look as nice as possible --- I refuse to be ashamed to be my age.

You may want to go back and read her original post. House cat didn't mention ANYTHING about age or it being a crime being 70 or being ashamed of your age. The focus of her question was focused on how to dress casually without looking sloppy. Doing loads of laundry and wearing clean clothes has nothing to do with her question.

Honored Contributor

Tailored styles are my favorites, but I'll confess that I don't practice what I preach.  

Honored Contributor

wrote:

When I was younger, I could rock the looks that they are showing lately, those unstructured, casual, "just got out of bed and may go back to bed any minute" looks.  Those "I'm too sexy to bother dressing up" and "too busy leading an awesome life to get out of my joggers" looks were my friends.

The older I get, the more careful I have to be about what I wear, lest I find my self in the "slipped out of the house to pick up my meds" look.

I agree with wearing what you like no matter your age, but there's a fine line between casual and kooky the older I get.  How do you keep from stepping over that line?

Hi @house_cat  I went through the same thing not long ago...comfortable and sloppy is a fine line as we get older. Not only do I dress for me, but never know who you run into doing errands and I don’t want to look dragged out of bed. I don’t do leggings, sweatshirts or gym clothes anywhere but the gym or at home. 

When I go out I prefer jeans, a sweater (or tee, depending on the season) and will add a scarf or vest or lightweight jacket...something that looks like I made the effort. Accessories always do the trick....earrings, a bangle bracelet...depends on personal style, but I never do just jeans and a top....I add that 3rd piece that makes it an outfit. Hope that helps.

Respected Contributor

Hi house_cat. This might be a little easier to answer for you a bit more specifically if you could remind us of the way you like to dress. As I recall, no jeans? Are you a t-shirt or a blouse person? What kind of footwear is best for you (I'm guessing no sneakers)? It's easy enough to generalize, but (for example) I would never in a million years wear the "artsy" jewelry look, I don't like scarves for everyday wear, jeans are a staple of my wardrobe, etc. I do agree with many of the suggestions given (well groomed, clothing that fits, etc.), but style is such an individual thing, and sloppy is a little bit subjective (as is the dreaded "frumpy"). Good luck fine-tuning your casual style!

Honored Contributor

@house_cat  Wear jeans or pants that are not baggy.  You can wear a plain tee and wear a cardigan over it or a blouse.  Seems like the Q is pushing this jogging pants look and hoodies.  That is fine for the gym but if they are not tailored you will look frumpy.  Hoodies are nice with jeans and casual pants.  Personally, I am not into the jogging pants or whatever you call them.  All that sweatshirt looking clothes gets old fast.  If you don't wear makeup at least wear a little lipstick or gloss and you will look like a million dollars.  It is also nice to add a scarf around the neck during the fall and winter.  Cat Very Happy

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

My worst fear is looking like an old fool. I think nothing points up age more than dressing too young

more important than style is grooming  and that begins with a good modern age appropriate hair style. I think that says more than anything else. You can do with bargain clothes and accessories but never skimp on hair

Esteemed Contributor

Neat grooming and neat clothing is a must. I think the just rolled out of bed look or wearing clothes that look like PJs in public (like flannel PJ pants) is not for me.

Honored Contributor

clothes are clean

no shoes have rundown heels

jewelry now, leaning towards "accents" type of jewelry. 

Coats are from the Q for the most part,

Love the purses I carry.

Do my makeup and hair. 

Can't wear flip flops, dress is not for work, or parties, that's not in my life now.  I don't do flashy.  No reason.

But politely presentable is my look I guess. 

Thank you for the word "mature" and not older or senior ladies.