Honored Contributor

Re: Mature ladies - what's the key to looking casual without looking sloppy?

wrote:

@suzyQ3, I'm sure you look fine.  I should have added it's very obvious with the white socks in cool weather.  

Ankle length are offered to show off the sandals or booties.

@ECBG, no white socks here. I wear very colorful no-show (which is thankfully a lie) socks with boat shoes. It's quirky, but I  try to pick one has at least one color similar to what I'm wearing, Sandals in the summer.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

I look put together in my casual clothes when they fit—not too tight or too baggy. I buy the best quality I can; if this means fewer clothes, that’s ok. Same with accessories. I would rather have fewer quality pieces than drawers of once-trendy jewelry. I keep my day makeup simple. If I use eyeliner, it’s a navy powder instead of a black gel. A good haircut and modern style are a must for me. If all this sounds boring, it does not have to be. It’s how you mix your colors and textures; choose the right jewelry, shoes and bag; and present yourself with confidence that makes one look fresh, unexpected, and polished even when casual.

Honored Contributor

wrote:

@house_cat, I'm 66 if I may chime in.  The most attractive ladies I see do have a current hair cut and manicured nails.  Their fashion is current and they don't seem to wear over one big stone if any.  Their jewelry accents what they're wearing.

They don't wear lounge wear out, but are tailored.

One thing I feel is especially bad is "making due" with a petite pant because they don't want to hem which causes the pant to "knock around the ankles" instead of touching the top of the shoe.  I see this quite often in cool weather with white socks.  It would be less obvious with trouser socks.  

@suzyQ3,Thank you for bringing up ankle pants which are to show sandals and booties.

In your weather, I could see you in a nice colored tee with a print capri and sandals.  If you're an hourglass like me, you may want the print on the top and the solid o n the bottom. A soft, neutral jacket for harsh air conditioning.  (Landsend,  Eddie Bower, Joan Rivers) and maybe one of the Women With Control denim jackets for fall.

You see what I wear to work (and the same thing out for lunches).  I work in a high quality casual store and the ladies that come in are looking for the same thing.

I love the items shown by the Style Coaching Institute on youtube.  This video is about the "Naturalist" personality and the items would work well in your climate.  The speaker started this business and she's excellent!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gl_MFxjv_tg&t=398s

@ECBG, pretty much outfit. I am very slim and not hourglass, but I still stick with solid bottoms and print or solid tees of all types (almost all from Talbots). My lifestyle is very casual. Even if I "lunch," I would dress the same way.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

You can save bundles shopping sales and clearances.  I always try to get everything for the lowest price possible

Honored Contributor

Personally, I think "pulling off" any look is actually ALL about your attitude. I wear capris & a t shirt almost all the time, as does almost everyone else where I live in a casual beach resort area.I wear clean clothes every day , bathe & do my hair & MU every day. I know a lot of older retirees don't bathe daily and it is apparent. Ladies often wonder why I have so much laundry because they basically do about 2 loads a week.I prefer to have totally clean clothes, hair and body every day, so I make a lot of laundry. I'd rather do more wash than wear clothes I already wore for a whole day.Plus clothing doesn't look crisp & fresh when it has already been worn.

Honored Contributor

@house_cat

If it's your style then why change it just because you're older? I've never been into the casual slouchy sweatshirt kind of dressing so I'm unlikely to start now. My taste is what it's always been; you learn to adjust according to your body! LOL

Find what you like and then purchase what works

Valued Contributor

I'm probably over that line a lot more than I care to admit.  I have this old pair of suede ankle boots that are pretty worn, but I just love how they feel on my feet.  I have three pairs of new boots, suede and leather, that I'm forcing myself to wear lately.  I should just throw them out.  I think a good hair cut and color (natural or not), flattering sunglasses, a decent pocketbook and attractive shoes go a long way toward making you look okay even in casual clothes.  I always have liked tunics and more slouchy type tops, so I probably look messy sometimes. 

When I was in my 20s, I wore a lot of florals and after that wore florals and other prints.  Now I mostly wear solids with maybe a paisley or abstract print on occasion.

Honored Contributor

wrote:

@jackthebearwrote:

what is considered "mature"

I may or not be there

@jackthebear

It's subjective. You'll know when you get there.  Some of us never do, and that's fine, too.

In my case, I knew I was a mature woman when I realized that I have to buy more expensive, quality garments in order to look nice.  I have to spend what it takes to have my clothing tailored.  I need to find clothes that are stylish, but comfortable, because I've developed ZERO tolerance for uncomfortable clothing and shoes. As ladies have mentioned here, I need to keep my hair colored and trimmed every month and my nails looking nice. I am looking forward to going natural gray, but I'm not all the way there yet and I don't care for the salt/pepper look   I've never worn heavy makeup, but the handful of products I use now are expensive, but worth it.

To sum it up, it takes a lot more work now to look "natural" than it did years ago.

Well, if your 70 and trying to look 40 - I'm guessing your "natural" look would really be difficult to achieve. I'm trying to figure out what it is about being 70 that is such a crime that at all costs it must be avoided? After fighting off cancer twice I am perfectly happy to have made it this far and , while I try to look as nice as possible --- I refuse to be ashamed to be my age.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@house_cat  Hello!  I am 62.  I steer away from trendy clothes....fringe, bell sleeves, tears in the jeans, embroidery on pants, and most of all, wear clothes that fit.  Not  these blanket shawls and tops  or mismatched things piled one on top of the other(LOGO)....if you get my drift.   Wear those in the comfort of your home....or not at all.

I dress conservative...always have.  Not boring, but,what a I like to call "classy".   Styles that do not go out of fashion. 

I would never wear yoga pants out....at home sure, but, when I go grocery shopping or to Costco, I wear something that looks nice... not dressy.  Just put together.

i swear some women just do not care how they look.  And they honestly look like slobs....which is their business, not mine.  I CHOOSE to look nice.  And put some effort into what I wear.

Even when I worked, there were those people I worked with who looked like they rolled out of bed and came  to work  in what they slept in. Wrinkled clothes.... awful. 

Maybe it has to do with our Mothers? My Mom was so beautiful and always looked like  she cared about what she looked like.  I remember kids in my class  when I was in elementary school  who would ask me "IS THAT YOUR MOM?" When my Mom was say bringing in cupcakes for  celebrating my birthday in class. I was always so proud to say "YES!"  

Well I got off track....but I think to not look sloppy....wear clothes that fit...that are not wrinkled and look like you put some effort into how you look. People do notice even if you do not think they do.

Honored Contributor

wrote:

wrote:

@jackthebearwrote:

what is considered "mature"

I may or not be there

@jackthebear

It's subjective. You'll know when you get there.  Some of us never do, and that's fine, too.

In my case, I knew I was a mature woman when I realized that I have to buy more expensive, quality garments in order to look nice.  I have to spend what it takes to have my clothing tailored.  I need to find clothes that are stylish, but comfortable, because I've developed ZERO tolerance for uncomfortable clothing and shoes. As ladies have mentioned here, I need to keep my hair colored and trimmed every month and my nails looking nice. I am looking forward to going natural gray, but I'm not all the way there yet and I don't care for the salt/pepper look   I've never worn heavy makeup, but the handful of products I use now are expensive, but worth it.

To sum it up, it takes a lot more work now to look "natural" than it did years ago.

Well, if your 70 and trying to look 40 - I'm guessing your "natural" look would really be difficult to achieve. I'm trying to figure out what it is about being 70 that is such a crime that at all costs it must be avoided? After fighting off cancer twice I am perfectly happy to have made it this far and , while I try to look as nice as possible --- I refuse to be ashamed to be my age.

@151949

I don't know where that came from, but I'm beginning to remember why I stopped posting on the fashion forum. While most of you are delightful to chat with even when we disagree, there are a handful of you who seem to be just waiting to jump to erroneous conclusions and pounce. 

I'm thinking I should stick to the Kitchen/Recipe/Home forums where I probably belong.

~ house cat ~