Honored Contributor

Re: Mature ladies - what's the key to looking casual without looking sloppy?

wrote:

@house_cat, I'm 66 if I may chime in.  The most attractive ladies I see do have a current hair cut and manicured nails.  Their fashion is current and they don't seem to wear over one big stone if any.  Their jewelry accents what they're wearing.

They don't wear lounge wear out, but are tailored.

One thing I feel is especially bad is "making due" with a petite pant because they don't want to hem which causes the pant to "knock around the ankles" instead of touching the top of the shoe.  I see this quite often.

In your weather, I could see you in a nice colored tee with a print capri and sandals.  If you're an hourglass like me, you may want the print on the top and the solid on the bottom. A soft, neutral jacket for harsh air conditioning.  (Landsend,  Eddie Bower, Joan Rivers) and maybe one of the Women With Control denim jackets for fall.

You see what I wear to work (and the same thing out for lunches).  I work in a high quality casual store and the ladies that come in are looking for the same thing.

I love the items shown by the Style Coaching Institute on youtube.  This video is about the "Naturalist" personality and the items would work well in your climate.  The speaker started this business and she's excellent!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gl_MFxjv_tg&t=398s

@ECBG, then you have seen my "especially bad" look. I am just under 5'4" and love the new ankle look. Even my non-ankle pants are not as long as they were in the old days. I personally have gotten very used to a shorter look, so  much so that I don't really like longer pants. I would make an exception, though, very dressy pants.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

I think the shorter ankle looks shows off  your shoes....if you have  nice ones why not?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@suzyQ3, I'm sure you look fine.  I should have added it's very obvious with the white socks in cool weather.  

Ankle length are offered to show off the sandals or booties.

Honored Contributor

wrote:

Who cares what others think of what you are wearing and how you look.  The only person you have to please is yourself!

@Pook

Thanks for responding, but I don't understand why every fashion question must come down to this comment.  My main concern when I'm dressing is not what others will think of my outfit. My main concern is what I, myself, think about it.  However, when we are out in the world we interact with people in all kinds of situations, professional and personal, and the way we present ourselves matters.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

what is considered "mature"

I may or not be there

Honored Contributor

@house_cat   some of it depends on what sort of  clothing you like to wear.  You can always find nice casual garments, and things for dressier type events

I am not a tee person, even though I just bought 2 more. I got them to wear under a new vest,  I just bought

I am more of a shirt or blouse type person...you need to kind of decide  what type of clothing interests you

Valued Contributor

If you wouldn't feel good about the way you look or what you are wearing-if you saw people you knew, then don't wear it. IMO if you wear it to bed,its on its last leg(faded/pilling), or it doesn't fit well- don't wear it "out".

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@jackthebearwrote:

what is considered "mature"

I may or not be there

@jackthebear

It's subjective. You'll know when you get there.  Some of us never do, and that's fine, too.

In my case, I knew I was a mature woman when I realized that I have to buy more expensive, quality garments in order to look nice.  I have to spend what it takes to have my clothing tailored.  I need to find clothes that are stylish, but comfortable, because I've developed ZERO tolerance for uncomfortable clothing and shoes. As ladies have mentioned here, I need to keep my hair colored and trimmed every month and my nails looking nice. I am looking forward to going natural gray, but I'm not all the way there yet and I don't care for the salt/pepper look   I've never worn heavy makeup, but the handful of products I use now are expensive, but worth it.

To sum it up, it takes a lot more work now to look "natural" than it did years ago.

~ house cat ~
Respected Contributor

Someone here mentioned this blog. Susan after 60 and I just love it.  Susan has taught me a lot and has verified many of my feelings about what I look good in.  I am only an inch of so shorter than her and we share almost the same weight and body type.   My life is not as formal as hers as I have grandchildren active in sports so I do wear spirit t shirts and all.   But I do still like to look more put together most of the time.  

It it seems I do have to work a bit harder at looking put together and still feeling like it is age appropriate.  

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Honored Contributor

@ECBG

Thank you for the video link! I really enjoyed watching them.  I'm a cross between "natural" and "romantic"... leaning towards the natural.  I've lost weight recently and I'm thinking of another wardrobe purge, so the videos are very helpful.

~ house cat ~