Honored Contributor

Re: Mature ladies - what's the key to looking casual without looking sloppy?

I like to look nice for me. I always do my hair and makeup, put an outfit together, and iron my clothes.

It gives me a boost and in my life situation I need every boost I can get. My big "night" out is a movie matinee. If the weather allows I put on a dress, tights, boots for that and look my best. For me. It lifts my spirits. Don't worry about what anyone else thinks.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Respected Contributor

i am saddened with how people present themselves in public. it says a lot.

Honored Contributor

wrote:

i am saddened with how people present themselves in public. it says a lot.

I may silently voice an opinion :-), but saddened? I am saddened only when I see a person who by their dress is likely to be ill and/or homeless.

Otherwise, I don't see how it says a lot about a person, other than that they dress differently from you or what you're most comfortable with.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

One little thing:  About jewelry, I think owning a good strand of pearls, whether they are the real thing or they are a good imitation is imperative.  I think as we age, pearls soften us and make a statement.  Just buy some good pearls that you can afford.  I have some real ones that were a gift when I married and I have some better ones through the years and I have a lot of "not real" pearls as I like different lengths, single strands, double strands, etc., but my favorite pearls came from Burlington about 25 years ago.  I love those things.  They look as real as my good ones and I just love them.  If they ever break, I am going to have them restrung. 

Esteemed Contributor

wrote:

wrote:

@house_cat, I just wanted to mention something I noticed as my mom got into her 70's and beyond. Not speaking of your age. I noticed this with her, her friends and others her age regarding casual dressing. 

I would go and pick up my mom on weekends and take her shopping and on errands. I noticed all the time she was so much more dressed up than I was for weekend running around. She always looked nice, but different. Too much attention was paid to everything, from make-up down to her shoes. 

As women get older, they dress in a special way when going out as it becomes a special occasion. I noticed the young dressed very casually on weekend running around. 

Right now for "mature" casual, I think it's the simple "lounge wear" look. If you can afford it, expensive looking "lounge wear." Loose and expensive. Very natural looking make-up. Clean and loose hair. If any scent, just a clean scent. Unstructured and easy. Sometimes it takes more attention to look "casual" than being dressed for occasion. 

I always pay attention to what youth are wearing out. I can wear a modified version of it. 

@febe1, well said.

I think it's often a matter of age but also where you were brought up and where you live now, what your lifestyle entails.

Should this be an issue that takes so much thought and so much work? I doubt I'll have a gravestone, but just in case, I do not want "She was always impeccably groomed from head to foot" engraved on it. :-)

Hey, @suzyQ3! Good points about where you live now and your lifestyle. Casual dressing would be different in NYC than it is in small-town USA. 

I've heard Kim Gravel say that she doesn't know how to dress casual and has always dressed up. Then, you look at Martha Stewart who always looks "casual." 

If you had a casual Friday in the workplace, you can see the differences in what others think as casual. 

For me, "casual" dressing has always been much more expensive. I like the expensive looking casual. And I love seeing a mature woman who knows how to dress casually. The French do it beautifully....

Honored Contributor

more reading on the topic although she is pro-legging

but you ladies might find it worth a read

https://www.fabulousafter40.com/dress-youre-retired-dont-look-frumpy/