Honored Contributor

Mature ladies - what's the key to looking casual without looking sloppy?

When I was younger, I could rock the looks that they are showing lately, those unstructured, casual, "just got out of bed and may go back to bed any minute" looks.  Those "I'm too sexy to bother dressing up" and "too busy leading an awesome life to get out of my joggers" looks were my friends.

The older I get, the more careful I have to be about what I wear, lest I find my self in the "slipped out of the house to pick up my meds" look.

I agree with wearing what you like no matter your age, but there's a fine line between casual and kooky the older I get.  How do you keep from stepping over that line?

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

Re: Mature ladies - what's the key to looking casual without looking sloppy?

I go for a tailored look ,and if I do wear something a bit on the edgy  side,it must look crisp and polished, not like a feed bag

Valued Contributor

I don't think you could go wrong by having a good hair cut and a good pair of shoes. I personally don't wear gym shoes out.   

Honored Contributor

Since I retired my going out clothes consist of jeans, a nice shirt, and maybe a sweater depending on weather. I think the key is fit and accessories. If your pants need shortening, do it. A nice pair of shoes and a cool bag really elevate a casual outfit. An updated hairstyle and a manicure also add to the overall look. JMO.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

I'm the same as you, @house_cat. I want casual and comfortable that looks decent. That's the reason I shop at Talbots.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

Thank you for posting this. My closet is on my mind today as I'm prepping for retirement in a couple of years and hopefully extended winter visits in warmer climate. I appreciate sharp-looking atleisure wear with zip up jackets. There's a difference between sloppy gym wear and pulled-together atleisure wear. I'll keep wearing jeans, changing style lines with the times. I love boyfriend jackets, colorful or crisp tops with dark jeans and stylish accessories. I wear capris instead of shorts. Don't wear tee shirts, except to work in the yard or in the gym. I'd like to wear more casual summer dresses and skirts, but I'm petite. I have to select carefully - especially since I no longer wear 3-4" heels. So many options now for stylish, comfortable shoes. Stylish glasses and sunglasses. Re-thinking handbags. Goodbye heavy, oversized, leather bags. Aware of my best colors and have three neutral, base colors. Enjoy accessorizing. Keep a stylish haircut, as someone already mentioned. Keep nails neat and polished. At least manicured. Makeup is more subtle now and I like to use blush for color. Can't underestimate the importance of posture and deliberate steps -- takes years off! 

That's the direction I'm going.         

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think if you are asking that question you might be  trying too hard.  Go with your instincts and wear clothing you like and are comfortable in.

I don't and have never put a label on the way I dress as in mature dressing or for the young, etc.  I have always dressed in eclectic casual unique clothing and it is me and who I am. I get so many compliments but for many this style would just look kind of silly as it is just not them.  

Who cares what others think of what you are wearing and how you look.  The only person you have to please is yourself!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Haha-I don't know but I'm laughing at your descriptions.

At this point, I find I really don't care too much if I do look like I just walked out of my house to get my meds when going to get the mail or something.

I might be a little more careful at the store but I no longer feel like putting on makeup, jewelry etc to go to the store.

So I may still be in what I consider a lovely ensemble that can rock it out doors as well as for a lovely nap!

They are my creative loungers-you can "dress them up, dress them down" wear them "to lunch with girlfriends", "to the beach", while

having guests at "my beachouse!"😂(the one in my dreams!)Anyway, I can always sing "I feel pretty, oh so pretty!" and if I"m in a good mood ready to greet the world, I really believe it!😄 

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@house_cat, I'm 66 if I may chime in.  The most attractive ladies I see do have a current hair cut and manicured nails.  Their fashion is current and they don't seem to wear over one big stone if any.  Their jewelry accents what they're wearing.

They don't wear lounge wear out, but are tailored.

One thing I feel is especially bad is "making due" with a petite pant because they don't want to hem which causes the pant to "knock around the ankles" instead of touching the top of the shoe.  I see this quite often in cool weather with white socks.  It would be less obvious with trouser socks.  

@suzyQ3,Thank you for bringing up ankle pants which are to show sandals and booties.

In your weather, I could see you in a nice colored tee with a print capri and sandals.  If you're an hourglass like me, you may want the print on the top and the solid on the bottom. A soft, neutral jacket for harsh air conditioning.  (Landsend,  Eddie Bower, Joan Rivers) and maybe one of the Women With Control denim jackets for fall.

You see what I wear to work (and the same thing out for lunches).  I work in a high quality casual store and the ladies that come in are looking for the same thing.

I love the items shown by the Style Coaching Institute on youtube.  This video is about the "Naturalist" personality and the items would work well in your climate.  The speaker started this business and she's excellent!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gl_MFxjv_tg&t=398s

Honored Contributor

I wear jeans, capri's and some ankle jeans.  I wear a nice pair of shoes or booties with them, and a nice casual top, such as a blouse, dressier T shirts.  I do not wear sleeveless or short sleeved tops as I have the batwing syndrome.  My hair is short and looks good when I go out.  I love lots of bling costume jewelry and ankle bracelets in the summer and some toe rings.  I dont "dress up" anymore, everything I have could be labeled "casual."

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)