Contributor

This thread is very interesting with all the varying perspectives. I agree with the posters who believe "matronly" is a state of mind. Honestly, I don't think many people even use this term anymore. I have definitely never heard anyone under 40 use it -- I think it is very dated.  I am in my 60s and I remember it being used to describe women who dressed in clothes that made them look older. As I have gotten older I have become more sensitive to what I feel is "age appropriate" but I still love fashion and look for things that are flattering to me and represent my style which has not changed over the years. 

I do not understand all of the negativity towards the clothing that QVC and HSN sells. I think retail operations like QVC and HSN have to cater to the mass market and that is what is reflected in their merchandise.  We have become a much more casual society (even before the pandemic) so I can see why much of their focus is in that direction. Tee shirts, jeans, joggers, etc. are worn by all ages so I don't get why they are considered "matronly." It could just be how the person elected to wear them that creates the perception.  I think if you are looking for more trendy and fashion forward clothing you definitely have to shop elsewhere. I am always looking at different shopping options online.  I do happen to believe that both channels do have a variety and some good brands (including my favorites Marla Wynne, Iman, G by Guiliana, Women with Control, Barefoot Dreams) and I choose accordingly.  I often receive compliments on the clothes I have purchased and not because I look "matronly."

Bottom line is shop where you can find the clothes that you like, fit you properly and represent your style/lifestyle. 

Honored Contributor

To this day, I still remember this ..... 

When I was a kid, one of our neighbors was a very opinionated woman who was always making weird comments.   Someone had used the term "pocketbook" and she nearly lost her mind .... said only low class trailer trash women used that word.   She said the "correct" term was handbag, and all classy ladies knew it.  

Well, in our region I recall it being either purses or handbags  .....  but I also recall being afraid to mention any of those words around her.  LOL

Truth be told, I'd never heard the term pocketbook ever used before she brought it up.  She was a weird one.

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44   Growing up in the 50s in NYC, we frequently referred to "pocketbooks" and I still do today.  "Purses" and "handbags" sound so formal to me--LOL!!!

Frequent Contributor

For me and I am only speaking for me, 3/4 sleeves look matronly.  I am in my 50's and I dislike the look.  QVC says they are the most asked for sleeve length.  Can't easily layer a sweater or jacket over them.  But, that's just me. Easy pass and money saver for me. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

All in all, it's fear of being old, not attracting men, looking "not young."  It's about attaching women's worth to looks.

That's how come there is no term analogous to "matronly" for those old guys who don't shave any more and only wear worn out denim and 40-year-old t-shirts from concerts of long-gone bands.

How many times have you heard a guy say about another guy "those overalls aren't really flattering to his figure."

That made me laugh.

Around here it is mostly older guys who wear overalls and their giveadam broke years ago.

Esteemed Contributor

@ceejay   if one has 'style" they know how to buy clothes that suit their body type and style.    I know what's good on me and I have my own personal sense of style.  There are some people who just dont know how to wear what looks good on them and hence make bad style choices.

Trusted Contributor

Q definitely markets to an older crowd, but they mistakenly think anyone over 50 wants to dress frumpy. They would sell a lot more clothing if they sold updated styles. Even most women over 50 like to look stylish.

Honored Contributor

If I have to choose between looking "matronly" or like "an old fool" or "mutton dressed as lamb"--I'll go with matronly.

And 3/4 sleeves?  How are you going to show off your jewelry without them?  They are the best thing going!  

Respected Contributor

@tsavorite wrote:

Matronly....my Grandma and Great Grandma come to mind.  Neither colored their hair....wore house coat dress with ankle socks and slipper house shoes!  My Grandma started wearing pants and never went back to the house dress.  Never did their nails with polish.  

I began the so called "matronly" thing already....the older I get the more things I need to cover or hide.  I paint my nails and color my hair.  Never did the house coat dress thing LOL!

I am getting close to 60 and without hair dye and make up I am positive I would look alot older aka matronly no matter what I did with my genetics.  

HSN does offer some lines that are trendy but they are not for me...I tried some and the fabric was bad or the jeans just to tight.  I can't do that anymore with my issues.

My Mom always said "powder and paint makes a girl what she ain't" LOL She did her nails and colored her hair until the end Woman Very Happy  Lot's of jewelry too.  

We do the best we can as we age.  No faux tans either come to think of it...that one really is the thing I notice most on Q and HSN.  But out in the real world I don't see that.  Heck I am snow white...oh well...I have rosacea so sun is not my thing.  

I also stopped caring what anyone else thought...my feet require Vionics so that's what I wear....and I am sure they look matronly to many.  

I don't think "looking older" because a woman doesn't color her hair (or paint her nails--not sure what this has to do with looking older) is what makes a person look matronly. It has more to with style choices -- hairstyles, clothing, etc. I know lots of silver haired women who are not matronly by any stretch of the imagination, even if one grants that they might look "younger" with dyed hair.

Esteemed Contributor

@ceejay wrote:

This thread is very interesting with all the varying perspectives. I agree with the posters who believe "matronly" is a state of mind. Honestly, I don't think many people even use this term anymore. I have definitely never heard anyone under 40 use it -- I think it is very dated.  I am in my 60s and I remember it being used to describe women who dressed in clothes that made them look older. As I have gotten older I have become more sensitive to what I feel is "age appropriate" but I still love fashion and look for things that are flattering to me and represent my style which has not changed over the years. 

I do not understand all of the negativity towards the clothing that QVC and HSN sells. I think retail operations like QVC and HSN have to cater to the mass market and that is what is reflected in their merchandise.  We have become a much more casual society (even before the pandemic) so I can see why much of their focus is in that direction. Tee shirts, jeans, joggers, etc. are worn by all ages so I don't get why they are considered "matronly." It could just be how the person elected to wear them that creates the perception.  I think if you are looking for more trendy and fashion forward clothing you definitely have to shop elsewhere. I am always looking at different shopping options online.  I do happen to believe that both channels do have a variety and some good brands (including my favorites Marla Wynne, Iman, G by Guiliana, Women with Control, Barefoot Dreams) and I choose accordingly.  I often receive compliments on the clothes I have purchased and not because I look "matronly."

Bottom line is shop where you can find the clothes that you like, fit you properly and represent your style/lifestyle. 

You think that HSN and QVC currently cater to the mass market?  They don't.  They cater a specific demographic.  They are attempting to gain market share from another demographic.  Their core demographic is aging and in order for them to remain relevant they are trying to "step up their game" as it were...

I agree.  Shop where you want, wear what you want.  I won't be buying clothing garments that age me, however.  I just can't imagine doing that.  That's not important to the next person though.  It's only important to me.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life