Respected Contributor

We still say Pocketbook here (LI/new england)   one day i was in Marshall's and a youngish woman said, oh Mom i'm gonna go over and look at the pocketbooks! 

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

Anything can look 'matronly'. Just depends on how something is styled. That makes all the difference in the world.

To me 'matronly' is what the women on The Golden Girls wore.

I felt the women on Golden Girls dressed for their age and always looked nice. Nothing was matronly looking to me. 

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

Anything can look 'matronly'. Just depends on how something is styled. That makes all the difference in the world.

I felt the women on Golden Girls dressed for their age and always looked nice. Nothing was matronly looking to me. 

Agree @SeaMaiden .  Sophia was matronly, but the 3 ladies always dressed nice - especially Blanche.  

Honored Contributor

@San Antonio Gal wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

Agree @SeaMaiden .  Sophia was matronly, but the 3 ladies always dressed nice - especially Blanche.  

@San Antonio Gal I always liked Bea Author's outfits...she was a tall plus size lady and everything she wore fit and flattered her figure beautifully. 

Frequent Contributor

Matronly to me is Denim & Company.   

Honored Contributor

@YogaGal wrote:

And Quacker Factory...

Frequent Contributor

@SeaMaiden   Oh yes, forgot about Quaker Factory!   That one is even worse!!   

Contributor

But I liked their outfits! Totally appropriate for their ages.

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@YogaGal wrote:

And Quacker Factory...

@SeaMaiden So would you rather see a lot of older women in what, hot pants?  Denim and company is pants and tops, and a few dresses.  So we're back to my definition of clothing a Kardashian wouldn't wear.  

I am getting that it is bad to be over 55 and wear clothing because you look matronly. . . or respectable?  It's all age shaming beause really, what are you supposed to wear to the post office?

Contributor

Oh. I'd just call that modest.