Honored Contributor

Re: Maryland Woman Wore Her Reception Dress For Vaccine

Why is this even newsworthy??

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

Her dress, her business. I think it's fun.

What bothers me more than what people are wearing are those holding up the line because they have to take a selfie or make a production of getting their photo taken walking up to get their vaccine. 

Speaking of "vaccine attire",  I got my second vaccine last Friday.  The weather was warm here so I wore a cold-shoulder sweater I had saved for the occassion in case it was warm enough and my intention was it's being donated right after.  But this way I didn't have to worry about pulling up my sleeves, etc.

I sat down in the chair and there were 2 women sitting in chairs waiting the recommended 15 minutes.  I could feel them looking at me so I glanced up and they were talking to each other but looking at me.  Then I heard the one woman say "I don't like it.  It's not my thing."   The other woman responded "it's weird.  I don't think I'd like the feel of it.  I'd be tugging at my sleeves all day."  I realized they were talking about my sweater.  ROFLOL   

The catty part of of me wanted to tell them their capri pants, bobby socks and clunky white gym shoes weren't my thing either.  LOL  But I just started to laugh over the cattiness of these 2 adult women taking stock of what people were wearing.            

Honored Contributor

@violann wrote:

I am learning to make MASSIVE EFFORT to forgive those who criticize ANYONE who attempts to lighten the darkness of the truly dark days that FOR SOME OF US began early, and continue now.

If YOU have been spared, take a moment to consider that if YOU were suffering, you might prefer to distract yourself with some whimsical act that would warm your heart and cause NO PAIN OR DISCOMFORT to someone else.

Summon in yourself the self discipline to respect misery, EVEN if you don't share or understand it, and MOVE ON.

@violann 

Beautifully said!

Esteemed Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

Why is this even newsworthy??

@ID2 

Journalism 101 - There are certain qualities to look for as to what makes a story newsworthy. This one has several of those qualities with human interest being the most prominent.

Had this been 2019 and this woman had worn her reception dress to an appt due to something local in Maryland like a wedding cancelled due to weather it might have stayed in Baltimore. In 2021, however, this story is not only timely but it has nationwide, even worldwide, relevance.

People tend to be interested in other people and what they're doing, especially when it's something about which they feel an emotional connection. 

Ask yourself, how many people there are that haven't been affected by the pandemic in some way be it something small or all the way up to losing a job, a business, or even a loved one? This is a story that speaks to the many people who are excited about having the opportunity to be vaccinated so much so as to view it as a sort of low key celebration. 

This is the story of how, in her own small way, a woman took back a piece of what covid took from her in the only way she knew how at this time. It's an optimistic story of hope and encouragement and, I would dare say, this is a time when we can use as much of that as we can find. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Lipstickdiva, Look at it this way.  You provided a brief moment of entertainment for two women who are either very bored, very unhappy, or very snarky.

I’d guess it’s all three.  

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

Her dress, her business. I think it's fun.

What bothers me more than what people are wearing are those holding up the line because they have to take a selfie or make a production of getting their photo taken walking up to get their vaccine. 

Speaking of "vaccine attire",  I got my second vaccine last Friday.  The weather was warm here so I wore a cold-shoulder sweater I had saved for the occassion in case it was warm enough and my intention was it's being donated right after.  But this way I didn't have to worry about pulling up my sleeves, etc.

I sat down in the chair and there were 2 women sitting in chairs waiting the recommended 15 minutes.  I could feel them looking at me so I glanced up and they were talking to each other but looking at me.  Then I heard the one woman say "I don't like it.  It's not my thing."   The other woman responded "it's weird.  I don't think I'd like the feel of it.  I'd be tugging at my sleeves all day."  I realized they were talking about my sweater.  ROFLOL   

The catty part of of me wanted to tell them their capri pants, bobby socks and clunky white gym shoes weren't my thing either.  LOL  But I just started to laugh over the cattiness of these 2 adult women taking stock of what people were wearing.            

@Lipstickdiva Good for you; on all levels.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

She said she was wearing the dress to celebrate the day. She never got the chance to wear it when she got married because her wedding was scaled back due to the pandemic. Good for her. I'm celebrating with her. For every shot we all get one step closer toward beating this darn virus. She was also wearing some lovely eye makeup and pretty earrings to complement the dress. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@september Judgemental much? 

I thoroughly enjoyed the photo and the story behind it. Good for her!!

Honored Contributor

why

Respected Contributor

@jackthebear wrote:

why

Why not?

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky