Contributor

Re: Martha stewart and mary beth

I have to agree. So much fabric. And the sleeves seemed too tight to wear over a long-sleeved shirt.  I think her clothes are for a specific audience - not exactly sure who she's targeting.

Honored Contributor

My daughter loves Martha Stewart.  She STILL talks about Sean and Martha Stewart when she was on QVC.

Martha Stewart kept saying, "What's going on" because Sean kept ordering while on the air.  I love it when my daughter gives her version of the show.

Poor Martha.  I think she's just use to being in charge of what goes where and when and it's difficult for her to fully understand the fast movements of the show.

I don't mean that in disrespect.  I just mean Martha would have like to have spent more time talking about the products, but there are so many things to cover.  I've watched Martha now with Jill, Mary Beth (once or twice) and some with Sean.  Sean and Martha are more entertaining but it's not meant to be.

Actually, I think (this is just me) Mary Beth kept Martha on par better but then Mary Beth is very professional (so is Jill) just my preference.  Jill did a good job with Katherine Zeta Jones....

I wish they'd put Martha back with Sean again.  It's sad but kinda funny (that sounds terrible, I know and I'm not proud of myself....but ......).  I must add that Sean is my favorite host....

My daughter doesn't like to watch Sean with Isaac because she says it seems rehearsed....I think that's strange to say because it seems the opposite to me...Funny what each of us see....

Contributor

Re: Martha stewart and Mary Beth Roe

I have several observations and thoughts to express regarding the Poncho presentation on October 30th (I did not watch the rest of the show):

1) I have been watching Mary Beth Roe for 27 years.  I have seen a slight change, but I have never seen her struggle like she did on the Martha Stewart presentation.

2)  Could that really have been all her fault?  Where were the cards? She did her best to fill-in for the gap in information. In my opinion, she's a structured person and relies on the structure of the presentation format - the structure was mising.

3) The filming/camera  seemed off to me, also.

4) Martha Stewart, a seasoned TV presenter and public personality, was stone-faced, ungracious, and barely responsive. She looked angry in a couple of shots. She just flat-out did not respond to several of Mary Beth Roe's comments and observations of the product..

5) Many regular viewers, like myself, see QVC as a resource, company and "family". They/we expect competence from the hosts but do not want to see the hosts mistreated or looked down on by anyone, no matter who they think they are, Had Martha Stewart been gracious and shown some flexibillity, kindness and humor, the whole thing would have gone better and she would have won over customers. For example, Martha Stewart glared with a tight jaw throughout the presentation.  She glared and scowled when Mary Beth said her poncho looked like a cape (which it does). She could have gone along and commented on her vision regarding the obviously cape-like design. Instead she delivered stone-faced hostility that she could not control even to sell her own product.

5) A couiple of the models seemed to be putting on an extra wide smile to make up for the tone - so it seemed to me. I felt sorry for them to have to work under those awkward conditions.

6) I think it is unfair to put Mary Beth down and to call her names as some have done on this thread (like "grandma brain"). She deserves respect. If the presentation was really her "fault" I'm sure that she will own it. She will also know when it's time to quit (something all of us have to face in life, except not in front of the whole country - I am not saying that it is time for her to quit).

7) Regarding the clothes: I do not care for the Martha Stewart line - not what I've seen so far. I'm not sure what demographic she's targeting but the cut of the clothes and designs fall short for the truly hip and youthful over-50 (or over even over 60) crowd. And her attitude turns me off; I could not wear her clothes.

I don't comment on Community often but I really felt badly for Mary Beth Roe and felt the harshness of Martha Stewart's facial expressions, comunication gaps, and demeanor brought a very negative tone and spirit to the set. This woman has a reputation, and I cannot help but think that she made Mary Beth Roe feel very small and that she complained to QVC with passion.

Contributor

I disagree.  I found Martha Stewart stoney, angry and unhelpful.

Contributor

If that is true, all I can say is that some people can't help but live up to their reputations.

Contributor

You know - now that you mention it, I do remember another host seeming anxious during a presentation with Martha Stewart - and this host is usually happy and bubbly and she seems to be able to work quite easily with other guests and a designer (NOT SG) who I think is a bit difficult. But with Martha Stewart she seemed hyper.  Interesting.

Contributor

You are right, of course. But it's just a chat about something that happened. You know, something you might mention over coffee with a friend.

But you know, also, we kind of get attached to the hosts on QVC.  Me,- I don't like to see people that I like and respect treated with disdain.

Contributor

Younger women will come to understand this - especially when you're doing nearly as much or more as you did when you were younger.

QVC Customer Care

Honored Contributor

Oh geeez! Another old thread. How annoying!