Honored Contributor

Re: Martha Stewart - Shameless!

Actually, I think she doesn't just "slap" her name on products. I do think she aligns herself with quality manufacturers before the MS label is stamped on.

Respected Contributor

Looking to start a MS bashing post? You will be unfruitful in your efforts.  Martha makes quality products. Have been using many of them since her early Kmart days. Payless will be no different. She is a presence in anything/brand she offers to the public.  She does not just slap her name on anything. Like everything else she does, she does her reasearch and is hands on. Something you should have done before you posted such drivel.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I first started buying MS linens at KMart decades ago.  Always high quality that I could afford back then.  And, I continue to buy MS products to this day.  I still have some washcloths and handtowels with MS tags on them and they look like new even tho they must be 30 years old by now.  To me, MS products mean quality.  She won't put her name on anything she doesn't use or wear herself.   I'm happy to see her products on QVC -- and Payless!

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

Martha had an exclusive agreement with KMart for years to license her stuff that took her a long time to break and she never wanted to be exclusive again.  

Macy's then sued her for taking a line to JC Penney while still having a line at Macys.

Martha is going to have a line in every store on the planet.

I say, good for her.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Esteemed Contributor

Martha always demonstrates an in-depth knowledge of all the products she presents. 

I can think of many, many personalities and celebrities who have appeared with merchandise on the shopping channels over the years who clearly had limited knowledge of "their" product.....that's real name slapping on some random stuff.

Respected Contributor

Lying under oath is a crime...for me, she lost her credibility.   Will she lie about the product too just to sell it?    I will not give her a cent (yes I know she did her time ... in a posh institution making cute shawls for inmates).   I've watched her presentations, and she still has an attitude...I also notice the hosts are intimidated by her ... why?

But the OP is correct ... one can put their name on anything for profit.  I want a brand that a person designed themselves, not the M.S. name on a jiffy mop, garden boots, or power washer.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Martha sold her company and the license to her brand/name to Sequential Brands a few years ago. She essentially is working with them on all of these businesses including what she offers on QVC and Payless.    (Just like Isaac Mizrahi sold his business yet is still involved).    Sequential makes all the decisions, not Martha.  

Esteemed Contributor

Martha is a very major shareholder in Sequential Brands as part of the acquisition.

She's also on the Board of Directors.

Oh, she is also Chief Creative Officer.

She's not just an average employee.

So, in a way, she does make decisions.

Honored Contributor

It is just another thread to attack Martha. I am glad most of the people here, are on her side. She is a self made woman, and an extremely talented one too

Honored Contributor

@SXMGirl wrote:

I say good for Martha!  And, there is nothing wrong with Payless shoes.  If you remember just this past week, they changed the name and prices as a joke to see if people wiould pay big bucks for their shoes; and look at all of those who were willing to pay those high prices thinking that they were getting designer shoes.

Martha is a business woman and taking advantage of every opportunity.  Who on this board would not do the same if given the chance?  I definitely would.  If that is shameless, then I want in the club!

I saw this.  They either brought in better quality, better style shoes for this experiment or not all Payless stores are equal. I've been in several and the shoes were mostly junk and the styles were pretty horrible, with little exception.  The materials were all faux suede and faux leather and looked it.  I walked out of there and texted my BFF asking here when Payless shoes got so expensive.  I can buy name brand, good quality shoes on sale for cheaper than Payless.