Super Contributor

Am I in the minority with thinking that $180 (On sale...regular price is $250) for a MarlaWynne reversible vest is way too high? I realize that sometimes fashions are higher because of materials used, but lately I've felt like some of the lines have skyrocketed in prices. MarlaWynne has always been pricey. I did order her balloon dress when it was a TS. And I was very happy with it. But I would never spend almost $200 (once you add s/h and taxes) for a vest. (I don't even care that it's reversible and it's like you get two. I still wouldn't do it.)

How do they sell them? Do they only make a few dozen and hope they sell? Or are there really thousands of people out there who really spend that amount of money for something like that?

Esteemed Contributor

@crush wrote:

Am I in the minority with thinking that $180 (On sale...regular price is $250) for a MarlaWynne reversible vest is way too high? I realize that sometimes fashions are higher because of materials used, but lately I've felt like some of the lines have skyrocketed in prices. MarlaWynne has always been pricey. I did order her balloon dress when it was a TS. And I was very happy with it. But I would never spend almost $200 (once you add s/h and taxes) for a vest. (I don't even care that it's reversible and it's like you get two. I still wouldn't do it.)

How do they sell them? Do they only make a few dozen and hope they sell? Or are there really thousands of people out there who really spend that amount of money for something like that?

NO! I only buy her fashions when they're on sale or clearance priced. I'm on a fixed income these days..! 

Don't cry for a man who's left you--the next one may fall for your smile.
-- Mae West
Honored Contributor

I do the same as @crush . I wait  for sales, of course you always risk a chance it will sell out

Honored Contributor

@crushThere are people who do spend that kind of money. but I'd think it's a limited market.

What do you think makes the vest expensive besides that it's reversible?

Super Contributor

I really don't know why it's priced that high. I looked up "Melton fabric" and found that it does cost more per yard. I saw $12 per yard for low end and $35 for high end. Maybe that's why. But I would assume if they are in the fashion industry, they can get fabric cheaper than we as consumers could get it. That vest can't have more than 2 square yards of fabric. Maybe it's pricey because it's Marla's line. You know...designer name.

So funny....I have items that look like "designer name" pieces and people ask me about them. I am not ashamed to say...."NO!! It is not ________. I bought it at TJ Maxx." Or at a boutique in town that has really good prices. My favorite is when I get lots of compliments from a boutique-y thrift store find. "Oh this?? I got it for $5!!!" There is no shame in my game!!!

Honored Contributor

@crushI don't concentrate so much on what each piece by itself costs.  Althpugh I don't keep exacxt track, I keep what I spend in careful check.

Today I'm wearing NYDJ so yes, they cost a bit more, but my top is more than 20 years old and so are my shoes and sox!  No idea what I paid for those 3 but certainly today's outfit makes my budget feel good.

I grew up in a post-Depression house.  There's no shame in buying clothes at a thruft shop -  2 of my best 2019 purchases came from one!

Honored Contributor

They sell her line at those prices because thousand of women purchase her clothing.  Her line is exremely popular and the women who purchase have the income to buy whatever they want to buy?  Perhaps you don't know it but the US is an  affluent country. Shoppers have money and credit cards and....they use them.  If it bothers you so much, don't watch the things you can't afford.    

Honored Contributor

i have been purchasing MW items for a long time......even from back when she was on qvc.

the materials she uses are top quality and i rarely return anything.

i love her designs......some of the best on any shopping channel.

sometimes i pay full price if i absolutely dont want to miss out.

other times i wait until it is marked down OR for when i have a coupon code.

if it is something you really want, just put it in your wishlist and wait for it to get marked down.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

Too expensive for what it is, IMO. 

And dare I say it, not particularly eye catching. 

Esteemed Contributor

I have several of her items in my wish list as I type.😊.

~~~All we need is LOVE💖