Respected Contributor

Re: Marla Ginsberg a/k/a Marla Wynne crossed the line

As someone that always been tall and thin, I agree with those that think there is a double standard out there. You can't call someone fat or comment about being overweight. If it is mentioned, it is in a roundabout way like saying they have athletic calves instead of big legs for example. On the other hand, it seems ok to describe people like me as not real women or stick thin, etc.
Respected Contributor

I'm sure she didn't mean to be insulting.  She seems like a very caring person.

Valued Contributor

I didn't see that show but I have seen Marla and Bobbie together in previous shows.  They appear to be good friends.  I really think Marla was just joking with her - I did see Marla later that day with a host she didn't seem to know that well and Marla was surprisingly very quiet.  I think she teases her friends.  Just my two cents.

Respected Contributor

Marla has no filter but she is quite self-depracating. i'm sure Bobbie did not take it personally.    Marla's fashions are for just about everyone and she made sure to make the TSV shorter with a smaller "sweep"  so petites could wear it too, 

Honored Contributor

@Andreatoo wrote:

Let me preface by saying I haven't purchased any of her garments but I do enjoy her. She's entertaining to watch simply speaking and her self depracation can be charming.

I don't think insulting another is charming at all.

If you watched the midnight presentation of her TS, with Bobbi Rae Carter, I think you'll know what I'm referring to.

She started by implying that the xxsmall was especially for Bobbi and elaborated on how thin she is. A while later she called Bobbi a 'stick person' and then told her she shouldn't visit Chicago...

What if she'd made similar comments to a 3x?? 'You look like a balloon person' ?

My heart broke a little for Bobbi because she seemed so uncomfortable even while she laughed it off.

I didn't gather that at all.  bobbi loves it.

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Honored Contributor

@Andreatoo wrote:

@bonnielu wrote:

I see this a bit differently.  In our society THIN is OKAY.  It is not an insult or at least it is not the same thing as calling someone FAT or overweight.  I doubt she would have done it had Bobbi been "oversized."  Just look at the commercials and the offerings and whatever to get us to lose weight and be a perfect size.  There is a stigma on curves with a bit of "stuffing."  

I will tell you this, and I am not a thin gal, short but well endowed... when I fell off the ladder I was "unhurt"  My thin friends did the same thing and they ended up with broken bones and in treatment centers.  My EXTRAS saved me. Even the doctor said so, reluctantly of course when I told him at a later time.   LOL. 

I will add one  more point.. Ranting I guess. But a man with gray hair and wrinkes is DISTINQUISHED... A GAL is just old and needs cosmetics or plastic surgery. Just look at the newscasters on TV.  

You don't find the term 'stick person' to be insulting? Really??

Most take it as a huge compliment.  98% do. 

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Honored Contributor

I am confused why this is posted on QVC's forum instead of HSN.  ??????

Trusted Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

Because a lot of the posters here don't just shop at QVC.  It's not a violation of community standards to discuss HSN.

Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

This is an equal opportunity board.   We insult ALL shopping channels. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Super Contributor

@winamac1 wrote:

@Andreatoo wrote:

@bonnielu wrote:

I see this a bit differently.  In our society THIN is OKAY.  It is not an insult or at least it is not the same thing as calling someone FAT or overweight.  I doubt she would have done it had Bobbi been "oversized."  Just look at the commercials and the offerings and whatever to get us to lose weight and be a perfect size.  There is a stigma on curves with a bit of "stuffing."  

I will tell you this, and I am not a thin gal, short but well endowed... when I fell off the ladder I was "unhurt"  My thin friends did the same thing and they ended up with broken bones and in treatment centers.  My EXTRAS saved me. Even the doctor said so, reluctantly of course when I told him at a later time.   LOL. 

I will add one  more point.. Ranting I guess. But a man with gray hair and wrinkes is DISTINQUISHED... A GAL is just old and needs cosmetics or plastic surgery. Just look at the newscasters on TV.  

You don't find the term 'stick person' to be insulting? Really??

Most take it as a huge compliment.  98% do. 

I agree, Winamac! If someone called me a stick person, I'd be estatic! 

We have become a nation of whiners. Someone called thin....insulted. Someone called fat....insulted. Someone called tall....insulted. Someone called shorty....insulted. It's so out of hand. If you're thin, own it! If you're fat, own it! Good googly-moogly....

~~~ So many handbags....so few hands ~~~