Trusted Contributor

Re: Maria Callas as a fashion icon

[ Edited ]

I love opera and Maria Callas is among the best Divas ever. Have you seen the French film Marguerite? When the actress was "singing" the Queen of the night from Mozart's Magic Flute all my students laughed, I almost cried since it was pathetic.

Well, then they listened to the same aria by la Divina and there was a total silence in the room and lots of clapping.

Onassis was mean, cruel, despicable, vile...but as you say in America what goes around comes around. Maria died with a broken heart I do not think that O had a heart but he did not look happy🌻 I forgot, loved her amazing jewelry, glamour, and style. There is a YouTube video of her farewell  concert in the Royal Festival Hall and she is the epitome of elegance, her voice is not at her pick but still bravo Maria!

Honored Contributor

CHIP62, can you share a YouTube address with Callas singing "Queen of the Night"?  Everything I've found declares that Callas is not singing, that it is Lucia Popp.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I love her singing "O Mio Babbino Caro."

https://www.google.com/search?q=o+mio+babbino+caro&oq=o+mio+babbino+ca&aqs=chrome.0.0j69i57j0l4.6727...

I agree that Aristotle Onassis was despicable in many ways.  He was a grasper, a user, a taker.  

Honored Contributor

Honored Contributor

Here you not only experience the genius of her voice and delivery but see evidence of her legendary acting ability.  "Habanera" from Carmen

Two performances are spliced together; she starts singing at about 2:45.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p19Rh5HWiRc

Esteemed Contributor

@ECBG, The selections of video opera performances recommended is great.  If you would just like to listen to Ms. Callas sing a variety of songs, and use a streaming music service such as Spotify or Pandora, that is a wonderful way to experience the sound of that incredible voice.  

About the other thing involving Aristotle Onassis.  Onassis was a ladies man and had several affairs with well known women.  I suppose if one is a billionaire, who owns ships, yachts and private islands, and wants to play around, there will be no problems finding playmates.  Today's gossip media would have a field day with that one.  The gossip of the time when his first wife divorced him was that she called out the affair with Ms. Callas in the divorce petition.  Callas was married herself, so they were both adulterers.  After their divorces, there was still no Onassis/Callas marriage, but the affiar continued. A few years later however, he through her overboard (pardon the pun) for Jacquline Kennedy.  Woman EmbarassedJuicy stuff for any era. 

Honored Contributor

Some additonal information (and gossip) about Maria Callas -- for those who had never heard of her before.

Maria Callas: Five great rumors on the soprano's 90th birthday
December 02, 2013|By David Ng

• Soprano Maria Callas.
Soprano Maria Callas. (Istituto Italiano di Cultura )

Hard as it is to believe that an opera singer can make gossip headlines, Maria Callas was, in her prime, a media phenomenon whose personal life was fodder for journalists and chroniclers of high society. 

A symbol of jet-set elegance, Callas was a temperamental celebrity who had a fiery love life. Her diva-hood  on and off the stage was legendary. The American-born Greek soprano would have been 90 on Monday, a fact marked by a Google tribute.

Callas was born in New York in 1923 to Greek immigrant parents. She made an early impression as a child singer and pursued her training when her family returned to Greece. Her professional career officially began in 1941 and she was soon performing in major houses in Europe and the U.S.

PHOTOS: Arts and culture in pictures by The Times

Though her bel canto voice is considered as one of the most dynamic in operatic history, Callas' stormy personal life often eclipsed her professional one. She clashed with opera companies, fellow singers and numerous lovers. She died in 1977 in Paris at age 53 following a heart attack. Her career had been in decline long before then, but her persona remained as entrenched in the public mind as ever.

In the decades since her death, rumors continue to persist about Callas' colorful career and personal life. Here are five of the most famous anecdotes, their veracity never confirmed nor completely discounted. 

(1) Callas once swallowed a tapeworm to lose weight. A rotund child who battled the bulge well into adulthood, Callas was deeply insecure about her weight -- at one point, the 5-foot-8 singer was believed to have weighed more than 200 pounds. Urban legend has it that the soprano ingested a live tapeworm in an attempt to shed fat. Another rumor has her experimenting with a special kind of pasta. Callas rejected the gossip, claiming that she lost weight naturally.

(2) She bore a son with Aristotle Onassis, but the child died soon after birth. Though she is believed to have been infertile, Callas was rumored to have had a love child with Onassis, the shipping tycoon and a Greek compatriot. The son was born in 1960, the rumor has it, and died hours later. Other rumors state that she had at least one abortion while she was with Onassis. Her relationship with the multimillionaire was stormy, as he is believed to have been compulsively unfaithful.

PHOTOS: Celebrities by The Times

(3) Callas continued her affair with Onassis during his marriage to Jacqueline Kennedy. Onassis left Callas to marry the widowed Jacqueline Kennedy in 1968. But it was widely believed that Callas continued her liaison with Onassis well into his marriage with the former first lady. "Greek Fire," Nicholas Gage's 2000 book about their love affair, portrays Onassis banging on Callas' door, begging to be let back in.

(4) Richard Burton rejected her entreaties to costar in "Medea." Callas' one foray into the movies came in a 1969 big-screen adaptation of "Medea," directed by Italian provocateur Pier Paolo Pasolini. The singer wanted Burton to portray Jason, her lover in the tragic story. But the Welsh actor, who was then involved with Elizabeth Taylor, is believed to have rejected the offer. In the actor's published diaries, he wrote that Callas came calling once and "and since I was in a reading mood she was not welcome."

(5) Callas insulted her biggest operatic rival by comparing her to Coca-Cola. Among Callas' many rivals was Renata Tebaldi, the Italian soprano. The women's mutual hatred was widely reported in the media, with the two exchanging insults and barbed criticisms. One account has Callas saying that comparing Tebaldi's voice to hers was like "comparing Champagne with cognac. No, with Coca-Cola." Some accounts have downplayed the rivalry, claiming that Callas had profound respect for Tebaldi's vocal talent.

Valued Contributor

@TY wrote:

"The Cut" fashion website has some wonderful photos of a young Maria Callas as there is a new coffee table book about her fashion style - Maria by Callas. Wow, Maria Callas was so pretty and stylish when she was young.

Take a look at the photo gallery:

https://www.thecut.com/2017/06/maria-by-callas-remembers-style-of-opera-singer-maria-callas.html

The photo below was taken in 1948. I love Maria's look and her hair in this photo.

\\\

Thanks for posting!!

Honored Contributor

She was an extraordinary person and so glamorous. Not what you'd picture as an opera virtuosa! 

I used to study her performances when I was learning. 

Trusted Contributor

Dear Goldie 76,

I brought a CD to class that I had however you are right it seems that the you tube versions are not sang by her according to the experts. Sometimes the Atlantic can be also a you tube border. There are videos that I can watch in Europe and not in America and Vice versa.

However her farewell concert is quite something you will see her poise, elegance and her love for music. Let me do some research and see what I can find for you🌻