Esteemed Contributor

Re: Macy's to compete with TJ Maxx and Marshall's?

@Andreatoo wrote:

...I found Saks to be offensive! The prices were still astronomical but then you're shopping no frills/no service in a c r a p p y setting?  If I'm going no frills please make it worth the effort

@Andreatoo

ITA.  We have an Off Saks nearby and I find it just awful.  I bought a sweater there at least 3 years ago and, I swear to you, that sweater is still on the racks!!!!  It's unbelievable!! 

~~~ I call dibs on the popcorn concession!! ~~~
Super Contributor

@ladyroxanne wrote:

@redngold   i do agree with you for the most part, but macy's does have some high end merchandise.  not a lot, but there is some there.

It does, but it is significantly overshadowed by the lack of customer service and the MESS the store is.   I don't shop there anymore because the stores are so messy and dirty, despite the fact that there are storewide sales on a daily basis.

Trusted Contributor

@redngold wrote:

@ladyroxanne wrote:

@redngold   i do agree with you for the most part, but macy's does have some high end merchandise.  not a lot, but there is some there.

It does, but it is significantly overshadowed by the lack of customer service and the MESS the store is.   I don't shop there anymore because the stores are so messy and dirty, despite the fact that there are storewide sales on a daily basis.

I could not have said it better!  Macy's might as well BE Marshalls or TJ Maxx.  I remember when it was more like Nordstrom.  Now it's a chaotic mess with terrible customer service.  I do still find some great buys on shoes occasionally, but forget shopping for clothing.  

Respected Contributor

I can't say I'm thrilled about another chain of off-price clothing stores. There are so many already.

I still do some shopping at Macy's, and they have some good brands, but they don't give them much floor space in the stores I visit. Increasingly, lower priced goods have taken over, along with crowded racks and a messy look to the stores. 

Another thing I didn't like was Macy's fulfilling online orders with stock from the stores - but doing a very bad job of it (not checking the merchandise for damage, bad packaging, high shipping fees).   

Lately I've been spending more time in smaller stores that aren't overwhelming (like Talbot's). Or shopping online (Boden, etc.).

I don't know if Macy's will make it. Maybe the days of the big department stores that try to be all things to all people are coming to a close? 

Honored Contributor

I like TJ Maxx and Ross.  Very clean, well-organized.  The employees are very nice, so far.  I occasionally stop by Burlington, too.  Lots of fashion items there, too.  Seriously, I run across at least fifty items (total) in these three stores in one day's worth of browsing.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Super Contributor

Macy's competing with TJ Maxx and Marshalls would be a step up for them! Crowded, dirty stores with lackluster merchandise. In fact, the TJ Maxx that I go to has an "off the runway" section with name brands Macy's could only dream to carry....
~~~ So many handbags....so few hands ~~~

Respected Contributor

@vac wrote:

@redngold wrote:

@ladyroxanne wrote:

I could not have said it better!  Macy's might as well BE Marshalls or TJ Maxx.  I remember when it was more like Nordstrom.  Now it's a chaotic mess with terrible customer service.  I do still find some great buys on shoes occasionally, but forget shopping for clothing.  

the one macy's that i shop occasionally is anything but messy and dirty.  it's a fairly new store and is very nice and has nice merchandise along with the fact that their sales reps really go out of their way to give great customer service.  it's too bad all store general mangers are not all the same.

Honored Contributor

@Andreatoo wrote:

@ladyroxanne wrote:

is this going to be like the nordstrom rack?  that's kind of the idea i'm getting?

I haven't been in Nordstrom's version but I found Saks to be offensive! The prices were still astronomical but then you're shopping no frills/no service in a c r a p p y setting?

If I'm going no frills please make it worth the effort

I totally agree with you about that.  We have a Saks outlet in the mall in our area and I've only been in there twice.  Their shoes 1/2 off is still $375. Really?? Nordstroms Rack just opened up a month ago and I like that much more.  

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

It's sad.... I remember when our Macy's was THE store to shop.  Fabulous clothing, cosmetics, and a swanky restaurant.   It was almost the only place I shopped in the 60's - 80's.  By the time our Macy's closed 5 years ago, it was more like a Target or KMart.  I hadn't been in it in several years because it had become so trashy.    

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Trusted Contributor

Sorry but nothing can replace Marshall's and TJ MAXX for my retial eye. Half the fun is going to see what you will find, a treasure to bring home at a great buy. Have never been a Macy's shopper and not starting now. They bought out Bullocks and that was a real shame. Now there was a great department store!!!!!!