Esteemed Contributor

Macy's to compete with TJ Maxx and Marshall's?

There's a new article about Macy's in the Wall Street Journal:

http://www.wsj.com/articles/inside-macys-downward-spiral-1447294559

It seems like Macy's sales are down and they are looking to compete with T.J. Maxx and Marshall's with a chain new off price stores called Macy's Backstage.

I'll be interested to see if this new venture is successful or not and I wonder if any of these new Macy's Backstage stores will be located anywhere along the I-5 corridor from Bellingham to Tacoma, Washington.

There are plenty of T.J. Maxx and Marshall's stores as well as Winners in Canada (all are owned by TJX corporation). The nearest Nordstrom Rack to Vancouver, B.C. Canada is the one near Alderwood Mall, north of Seattle. Of course there are the Seattle Premium Outlet stores which are fun to visit but they are north of Marysville and so those stores aren't that close to either Vancouver or Tacoma.

I don't buy from Macy's even though they ship to Canada as their shipping is really expensive but I do enjoy visiting those stores when I visit the U.S.

Honored Contributor

Re: Macy's to compete with TJ Maxx and Marshall's?

Thanks for the heads up; here's their website:

https://www.macysbackstage.com/home

Esteemed Contributor

@feline groovy

Thank you for the link! I like to browse fashion websites including Macy's, HSN, QVC, Nordstrom, and HBC and TSC in Canada but in the end I think I prefer to try clothes and shoes on for fit in a bricks and mortar store which is why I think it's a good thing that there's more discount retailers.

After QVC kicked Canadians to the curb at the end of 2012 I thought I would purchase from them and send it to a relative in the U.S. to pick it up there but it hasn't happened as the clothes didn't appeal to me enough. Now with the exhorbitant shipping on handbags, I wouldn't even consider buying a bag from QVC and send it to a relative in the U.S. and I used to buy a lot of Maxx NY bags from here. The last 3 handbags I bought were all bought from a bricks and mortar store and not from the internet.

But I see a clearance auto mirror that I already own (bought a similar pair from QVC about 5 years ago) and I may buy a third one from the as-is section of QVC.

Respected Contributor

is this going to be like the nordstrom rack?  that's kind of the idea i'm getting?

Honored Contributor

@ladyroxanne wrote:

is this going to be like the nordstrom rack?  that's kind of the idea i'm getting?

Hi @ladyroxanne that's exactly what I thought of when I read the article.

Respected Contributor

hi @Mj12  great minds think alike don't they!  lol  enjoy your day.

Super Contributor

Macys doesn't need to open a new sub-chain to compete with Marshals or TJMax.   Their brands, quality and prices are already in-line with those stores. 

Honored Contributor

@ladyroxanne wrote:

I haven't been in Nordstrom's version but I found Saks to be offensive! The prices were still astronomical but then you're shopping no frills/no service in a c r a p p y setting?

If I'm going no frills please make it worth the effort

Respected Contributor

I live in a well-known-for retail city, and I"m right between a TJ Maxx and a Marshall's.  I can go about 2 miles to the right, or 2 miles to the left and be at one of them.  I don't shop brick and mortar very often, but when I do, those are pretty much my only places.  I also have a large mall right across from the TJ Maxx, but I rarely go there (there is a Macy's there too).

Laura loves cats!
Respected Contributor

@redngold   i do agree with you for the most part, but macy's does have some high end merchandise.  not a lot, but there is some there.