Super Contributor

Re: Macy's and the Shoplifter

I know it may appear that management and associates , aren't doing anything to stop it.  But most retail help are instructed to just offer ,customer service , by saying hello. The liability and safety of employees outways the risk of stopping a theif. 

Respected Contributor

Nordstrom finally started putting cables and locks on some of the higher end bags.  The handbag department is located right by the doors that go out into the mall.  They just scoop up the bags and run out of the store. 

They finally wised up about returning without a receipt. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Macy's needs to take a page out of Walmart's book!

I see shoplifters caught ALL the time.   I'm sure not every shoplifter is caught but it's a common sight where I shop.

It's usually women with a slew of kids.   And they don't go down easy!    Screaming, causing a rukus but the security just keeps dragging them to the office.  Then the cops come.

The store employees are usually the worse culprits in getting merchandise out the door.  I worked for a grocery chain back in the day and one of the assistant store managers would wait until closing time, turn off the cameras for just a brief few minutes and steal everything he could get his hands on.   Turn the cameras back on.    Know how he got caught?   One night he forgot to turn the cameras back on.   When the first employee came in the next morning, the cameras were off and the employee innocently reported it as a malfunction.  Security investigated and figured it all out.

Honored Contributor

@makena wrote:

Most of the things in Macy's have sensors. In our Macys you can't get away with taking the higher end bags.  They are either strung together with a lock or they have the sensors locked on each bag.  The one the shoplifter took must have been a cheaper bag.

@makena,  They were in Belk too!  They bring in wire cutters and cut the cables!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

So frustrating. When kids were younger I worked 2 evenings a week at Gordman's Store (recently went out of biz). I also worked full time at a college and our family enjoyed the 20% employee store discount. We were saving $$ for something specific and the second job helped. I saw an older woman put her old shoes in a shoebox and wear new shoes around store. She shopped after this then went and paid for items - but not shoes. Knowing we couldn't approach customers, I carried the box of old shoes to Security who took the box and oberved her for a while. She walked out the door with new shoes. I asked why -- Security said they didn't want discrimination law suits. (age in this case) I later received a form from supervisor that had to be faxed back to headquarters. Then I received a follow-up phone call. They wanted to make sure I wasn't a prejudiced person. I'm not. And living in my home was multi races of children, since we were foster parents. I 'got' to keep my job -- but quit within 2 weeks. Hired at Dress Barn for $2 more an hour the next day. Pleasant place to spend two evenings a week and mama enjoyed that discount.       

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Esteemed Contributor

@ECBG, Thanks for pointing out that the sensors stop nothing.  

A lot of these shoplifters have the tools needed to remove those things.  They are stealing the expensive stuff too.  The stores area in a tight spot because if the pursue and try to hold a thief until the police arrive, the thief may sue them for some kind of assault Woman Frustrated.

Esteemed Contributor

I notice drug stores and grocery stores have visible store security to try and deter shoplifting but it doesn't always work. As well why would a store employee want to tangle with someone who may be armed with a weapon?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Trix wrote:

@ECBG, Thanks for pointing out that the sensors stop nothing.  

A lot of these shoplifters have the tools needed to remove those things.  They are stealing the expensive stuff too.  The stores area in a tight spot because if the pursue and try to hold a thief until the police arrive, the thief may sue them for some kind of assault Woman Frustrated.

@Trix,Thanks.  Many times these personnel are off duty police.  In the case where I was, we had the former head of secutity from the local Kohls as well as a former marine.

They all have to workshops so they can't get into a difficult spot.

Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have a friend, who comes from a very hard working family, who was an assistant manager at a retail store.  She had approached someone who she saw stealing.  She got written up for doing something wrong!!  She was told to let them steal the clothes.  It didn't go with her morals standards, so she quit.  "Shoppers" really do have a green light to steal.  If the concern was for employee safety, which was not the case, I could understand.

Valued Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

Hmmm...no video security cams???

Where did you say this Macy's was??? whistling.gif

@Mz iMac

LMAO!