Respected Contributor

Tonight I saw a woman on the floor between an aisle of handbags, tossing out the stuffing, putting something else in the handbag, throwing it over her shoulder and going to cosmetics.

I notified the clerk what I saw and she called over to cosmetics notifying them that I saw her steal a handbag. 

Did they get her?  No, listen to this, a clerk didn't see her do it and or store security didn't catch her in the act.   To me, that's ridiculous but later I talked to a different associate and he said if any clerk approached her, they would be written up.  The store security needs to see it and act on it.

No wonder so much is stolen!  So tonight, that woman got a new black handbag with fringe going down the side. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Macy's and the Shoplifter

Hmmm...no video security cams???

Where did you say this Macy's was??? whistling.gif

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

Years ago they had a Disney store in our mall.  I saw a man, woman, and two kids with a stroller.  They went to the back of the store and the father spoke to the two kids in another language, and the kids started taking stuff off the shelves and clothing and stuffed bags that were in the basket of the carriage.  They walked right out of the store.  I went to the desk and told the cashier but they did nothing.  Unreal. 

Honored Contributor

The store can be called liable for many things under the law, and they have to be very careful.  The store can be hauled into court and thousands more than the price of the handbag lost.

Sounds very much as though they need many more cameras and people watching them.

Respected Contributor

Macy's is pitiful with people.

I worked as a secret shopper last year for a VP and reported back to him on his people, the product, the appearance of the store etc.  His complaint was the store's not busy enough to employ anymore people.  They have people in the office of the store but they don't come out, they stay in the office.  One person maybe none is on store security and they have only 2 regular shopper store security people.  Someone needs to be on security camera duty, see the theft and notify the store security, that's a lot of coordination for that to happen.

Honored Contributor

pretty much the same way in nordstrom.

if a security team doesnt see them then there is not much they can do.

if a sales associate reports the person to security then they can begin monitoring her.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

I have seen and reported shoplifting many times and nothing done.We are all paying more because of it.I got so mad in Safeway when I reported a guy leaving with a cart of meat and nobody could do anything.I called the manager and told him if they didn't put security in the store I was going to stop shopping there.Told him I felt like I was getting ripped off paying for my stuff when too many don't bother.

Respected Contributor

Most of the things in Macy's have sensors. In our Macys you can't get away with taking the higher end bags.  They are either strung together with a lock or they have the sensors locked on each bag.  The one the shoplifter took must have been a cheaper bag.

Respected Contributor

It was a Guess bag.   Black approx 13" sq with fringe going down either side

and yes, you are correct, those bags do not have sensors.

Honored Contributor

sensors do not really stop people who are intent on stealing.

this is one of the reasons why nordstrom changed their return policy within the past year. you HAVE to have a receipt or the credit card you purchased the item on to get a cash or credit refund. all others get a store credit (even those who have stolen.)  they dont REALLY want the store credits......they wanted the cash back.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein