Esteemed Contributor

Re: Macy's and the Shoplifter

ECBG wrote:

Trixx wrote:

@ECBG, Thanks for pointing out that the sensors stop nothing.  

A lot of these shoplifters have the tools needed to remove those things.  They are stealing the expensive stuff too.  The stores area in a tight spot because if the pursue and try to hold a thief until the police arrive, the thief may sue them for some kind of assault Woman Frustrated.

@Trixx,Thanks.  Many times these personnel are off duty police.  In the case where I was, we had the former head of secutity from the local Kohls as well as a former marine.

They all have to workshops so they can't get into a difficult spot.

@ECBG, from my many years working in retail, I know the mall owners and stores want highly trained security personnel and take that part of the business quite seriously.  That said, they still have to deal with regardless of how well trained a security person is, and how by every book known to law enforcement the apprehension (of shoplifter) goes down, every once in a while they still have to deal with the villain's trying to sue the store and the mall.  Sadly, these are often the crime does pay lawsuits.  

Honored Contributor

Hmmmmm....let's see that Gordman's store went out of business, and Macy's is in financial trouble.....could Woman Frustratedone of their problems be "shrinkage"....Woman Frustrated  I hate shoplifters because they make everyone else pay more for merchandise..............

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

There was a segment on our local news regarding the same issue. The robbers (who were shoplifting and clerks tried to stop them)  beat these 2 clerks (woman) who tried to stop them.  first they shoplifted then came back into store with guns and took the cash register money.

i was shocked the one clerk was back at work after a few days and the management of this particular store (chain) stated:

"We have security personnel & cameras in our stores our employees should never attempt to stop a shoplifter and if store is being robbed never try to stop it!" 

What??? Guess there is a extreme liability for those who get hurt or get involved.

Shocking!!!