Honored Contributor

Re: Macy's and J C Penny! Surprised!

@itsmagic wrote:
I found an article on line about it:

”Macy’s and JC Penney are entering the secondhand resale market for the first time, partnering with online consignment store thredUP to offer apparel and handbags from leading designers and brands. Macy’s is presently piloting thredUP in 40 stores, while JCPenney will offer the selection in 30 stores.”

@itsmagic   Coach handbags has been partnering with them for quite a while and some other labels as well.  I guess I am late to the store but I never find anything I would like.  Perhaps the Penney and Macy will be a boost and others will start selling items there that are more desirable.  Or maybe I just get there after the goodies are sold out.

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

They are going to sell USED clothe ????  That reeks of desperation and failure.

@chrystaltree   If it is like the Coach handbags, it looks like grab-bag handbags, those that did not sell and were sort of abused on the road to Thredup.

Honored Contributor

Don’t know about JCP, but here is some info from our local paper about Macy’s Backstage store. 

Whether you're hunting for apparel for yourself or your kids, shoes, jewelry, designer handbags, cosmetics or home goods, Macy's Backstage is a store-within-store shopping experience that will carry on-trend merchandise at 20 to 80 percent off traditional department store prices. 

There are more than 200 Backstage stores located in Macy's department stores across the country. The off-price store is operated by its own buying team who scour the world to find fabulous products at the best prices. 

The apparel and accessory brands are constantly updated and several of the brands are different than what is currently available at the full-line Macy’s.

Esteemed Contributor

I don't know how I feel about Macy's partnering to sell used clothing, but I have found some great deals in their Last Act (deeply discounted sections within departments throughout the stores).  Shopping Last Act in store can be time consuming and annoying due to it being a mess, but imo the mess is created by shoppers as if you're in the store early AM hours, staffers are busy trying to organize things so that shopping is easier. Sometimes things are moved around because there are shoppers who like to stash things, then there are the shoppers who carry many items around and then just drop what they don't want wherevever they happen to be standing when they mae their decisions.  I haven't shopped Backstage yet.  I expect Backstage sections will mimic the Impulse section in beauty.  Impulse is the section in the beauty dept. where Macy's puts the trendy brands which don't have full service counters and some of the not usually department store products they sell.  

Honored Contributor

@zitawins wrote:

What is the source of your topic? Somehow, this doesn't sound right to me. I can't believe Macy's and Penney's would do this. Something's off here.

I can believe of Penny's they're already looking like a Goodwill.

Macy's, I always thought wouldn't be that tacky.