Honored Contributor

Macy's and J C Penny! Surprised!

[ Edited ]

In "Interesting News" in my radio while I was getting ready for work this morning, it was announced that Macys and Penny's will put in a resale clothing section because resale shops are doing SO well!

I think it may be that some of the original styles plus prices are a draw. 

I know that I've found some amazing items that have come from someone that may have moved here, or maybe they picked the item up in their travel.

Honored Contributor

Re: Macy's and J C Penny! Surprised!

@ECBGWonder if we'll still find such good prices?  More like thrift or more like consignment?

Honored Contributor

@millieshops wrote:

@ECBGWonder if we'll still find such good prices?  More like thrift or more like consignment?

@millieshops I don't know.  I haven't shopped Penny's since the boys were little, and we don't have a Macys.  I WONDER where the stuff will come from?

Goodwill won't give up their free donations, so hard to say.  They may by red tag from consignments, but that would be difficult without a major supplier.

Honored Contributor

@ECBGI do have access to both chains and I do shop the thrifs,  but I don't buy used if the prices match what I can find new on sale.

Most thrift shops do depend upon donations and volunteer labor.  I think it's going to be tough to match them.

Respected Contributor

I found an article on line about it:

”Macy’s and JC Penney are entering the secondhand resale market for the first time, partnering with online consignment store thredUP to offer apparel and handbags from leading designers and brands. Macy’s is presently piloting thredUP in 40 stores, while JCPenney will offer the selection in 30 stores.”
Honored Contributor

@ECBG @itsmagic @millieshops 

The Macy’s at our mall has an area called “Act II.” 

It is pretty messy (and so is the rest of the store).

Then, in the regular shoe department, I noticed a shelf with shoes on it that also read “Act II.”

It is a bit sad, but all things in good time, I guess. The pendulum may swing back toward Brick and Mortar stores in the future?

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Valued Contributor

What is the source of your topic? Somehow, this doesn't sound right to me. I can't believe Macy's and Penney's would do this. Something's off here.

Respected Contributor

@zitawins wrote:

What is the source of your topic? Somehow, this doesn't sound right to me. I can't believe Macy's and Penney's would do this. Something's off here.

@zitawins Just Google Macy's and Penny's resale and make your own judgement if the articles are true.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Itsmagic refers to an article saying this will be done as a pilot program in 30 or 40 stores--a tiny amount in this large country.

Honored Contributor

They are going to sell USED clothe ????  That reeks of desperation and failure.