Honored Contributor

Re: Macy's To Close 68 Stores, Cut 10,000 Jobs

I think it's okay.  Going to Macy's used to be a special experience, back in the day when there were fewer stores.  Then came department store mergers and consolidations of the last twenty or thirty years and now every city has a handful of Macy's.  I think a smaller Macy's has a better chance to become special again.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

They bought up and closed all their competition and now they are closing all these stores. I bet, like my small Florida town and Pittsburgh, they have left the downtown area without a department store. They closed the downtown Macys store in Pittsburgh last year. I'm not a fan of Macys.

Esteemed Contributor

Macy's farmed out customer service for online sales to somewhere outside of the US and it leaves a lot to be desired.  I also had a very bad experience in the store with a badly botched sale and a salesperson who was clearly unable to do the job.  I can see why some customers decide to shop elsewhere.  

Respected Contributor

Our local Macy's store is closing in March. I could see this coming about a year ago. The inventory was low and they weren't displaying clothes, shoes and etc. like they use to. 

Our mall started with a Dayton's store,, then Marshall Fields bought them out and then Macy's bought out Marshall Fields. I wonder if we will get a new anchor store or just a bunch of small stores to fill up that floor space. 

I will miss this store, but there is one about 70 miles away that I can use as an excuse to get out of town sometime. 

Respected Contributor

Yes, returns easy so long as BBS still exists but how easy will it be to order several things to try on snd return others in the future? Comparing and selecting will be much different in the future. Sad days.
Esteemed Contributor

CNBC has a complete list of the Macy's store closings:

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/01/04/here-are-68-of-the-100-stores-that-macys-will-close.html

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

So I looked at the Macy's store closing list on the CNBC website:

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/01/04/here-are-68-of-the-100-stores-that-macys-will-close.html

and I don't see any of the Macy's stores that I visit in Washington state affected. The Macy's in Everett is closing - but those people can easily drive to the Macy's at the Cascade mall in Burlington or the Macy's at the Alderwood mall in north Seattle.

I read that the Las Vegas Boulevard Macy's - that is not the one on the strip is closing and the one on the strip at the Fashion Show mall is still open so really the news won't affect me directly.

I do feel for the employees who are losing their jobs as it's not easy for them to get new ones.

I imagine that a lot of the prestige beauty inventory that would have been sold at these stores will end up elsewhere including TJ Maxx.

Esteemed Contributor

@GSPgirl wrote:

Let's see:  rude service, crummy clothes, smelly dressing rooms and stuff all over the floors.  I used to work there and they treat employees horribly.  They deserve to lose some stores.  I'm sorry for the employees, but they don't look happy anyway.  In the south, anyway. 

Heck I would even settle for rude service just to get any kind of service.  I have wandered through a entire level,of Macy's just looking for one sales person at a register who,could ring me up.

Esteemed Contributor

@mistyada wrote:

It sads me that Macys bought so many nice stores like Lord and Taylor, Marshall Fields, etc and made them boring cookie cutter stores. So many people lost their jobs. The service and selection is bad.

I went to Macys at Christmas and it was hard to find a salesperson around to check me out. I had to look around half of the floor. This is not a store on the closing list either. In fact it is in the busiest mall in the area and parking is at a premium. People were in the mall and not in Macys. Nordstroms had plenty of salespeople.

JUst to clarify Macy's does not own Lord and Taylor.

Trusted Contributor

There are two Macy's in my area and neither on the closing list. :-)

I had a truly bad shopping experience in the woman's dept and told them about it via their online survey. Then I didn't shop there for several months; it was my personal boycott.

Had to buy a wedding present and the registry was at Macy's. So back I went and got excellent service in the bedding dept - told them about that too.

I started shopping there again but their stock is definately not what it once was. They were out of the Kitchenaid toaster oven we wanted but we paid for it at the store and and it arrived on our doorstep a few days later. Again, the woman that helped us was outstanding.

Obviously service varies from store-to-store and even day-to-day.

I don't want to see brick and morter stores go away.