Esteemed Contributor

Re: Macy's To Close 100 Stores Next Year

[ Edited ]

@beach-mom wrote:

Macy's started to go downhill years ago when Federated Department Stores bought all of the other family-owned department stores out.

Ours is SO crowded it's pathetic! Shortly after the buyouts started and I noticed the changes, I went in to the children's department. DS was in the stroller. I couldn't get through with the stroller because there were racks everywhere. I asked an SA to speak to a manager. A young guy - probably about 21 - came out. I told him my problem, and asked if they could move some things around so the next time I came in with my son I could get through. He smiled and told me they have to get all of the merchandise in and there was nothing they could do. That's when I started going to other stores!

I have a good friend who was one of the main buyers for Macy's in Herald Square for years. She left about 2 years ago. There was too much work for too few people, and they were hiring people who were not that qualified. 

I don't buy much from Macy's any longer, and I haven't bought women's clothes for me there in years! Smiley Happy

@beach-mom It was the way it was worded why I said that.  If you read the sentence again you used the word "I"     I do understand your meaning you posted now.  I thank you for clearing it up for me.  Much appreciated.  

Trusted Contributor

The Macy's near me is a mess too. I don't like shopping there. Nordies on the other hand is alway neat, of course their prices are higher.

Honored Contributor

@BlingQueen022 wrote:

@beach-mom It was the way it was worded why I said that.  If you read the sentence again you used the word "I"     I do understand your meaning you posted now.  I thank you for clearing it up for me.  Much appreciated.  

@BlingQueen022 - NP! Thank you for your comment! Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Business Insider has the entire article 3 Reasons Why Macy's is Bleeding Customers that was poofed by Beth so you can google the title and read it online.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

@Mary Bailey wrote:

Did I miss a list?  I'm near a store in Bolingbrook & Joliet. 

I was never 100% in with Macy's they bought out Marshall Field's.  I loved Marshall Field's!

Oh @Mary Bailey I can still remember my disappointment when I read that the Field's family sold out to Macy's.

Macy's ruined the Oak Brook store.  Went there a few times after the cutover (including one day when they first opened in the morning only to find managers screaming at associates about what was expected of them knowing I and other shoppers were in clear sight and ear shot.  It was awful).  I also visited the Macy's by you and was very disappointed.

I very much miss Marshall Field's!  Smiley Sad

Esteemed Contributor

@momtochloe My aunt/Godmother worked at the Chicago Marshall Field's when I was a little kid.  She used to buy be all kinds of outfits.  I still remember one or two of them! 

I bought us MF coffee mugs when Macy's took over.  I think I still have my MF charge card and a bag too!

Honored Contributor

@Mary Bailey wrote:

@momtochloe My aunt/Godmother worked at the Chicago Marshall Field's when I was a little kid.  She used to buy be all kinds of outfits.  I still remember one or two of them! 

I bought us MF coffee mugs when Macy's took over.  I think I still have my MF charge card and a bag too!

@Mary Bailey my sister used to work there and bought me the most fabulous pair of shoes I have ever owned . . . I was in third grade and they were a burgundy reptile print (which at that time was probably real reptile) with a huge grosgrain ribbon on top with a one inch heel.  In third grade.  I wore them every single day (hence my love affair with great shoes).

Smiley Happy

And ps, I will never forgive them for ruining Frango Mints . . . Smiley Sad

Esteemed Contributor

@momtochloe  Sounds wonderful!  I wonder if they worked there at the same time!   I remember a dress with an olive colored skirt and and wide "velvet" ribbon belt around the waist. I wore it with white tights. The other was a "shift" style dress.  I don't remember the color.

oh yeah Frango mints, and the little snack shoppe too!

Good Times, sigh...

Esteemed Contributor

I just shopped at Macy's and it was well stocked, clean and had someone working the register.  I bought a few things at a deep discount.  Very positive experience.