Respected Contributor

Re: Macy's To Close 100 Stores Next Year

@Ms X wrote:

If they close the Macy's near me, I will continue my boycott of their on-line business.  I've been boycotting Macy's since last summer.  They will never get another cent from me.

They took over where Filene's used to be.  That was always my store.  I loved to go to Filene's Basement to buy and then go upstairs mostly to browse.  It looked so much nicer than Macy's.  When Macy's took over Filene's, the exterior was very different and not at all attractive.  I won't miss it if they close it.

i spent most of my time shopping in Filene's too. loved Filene's!  when i was very young and worked in  town i would hit Downtown Crossing Filene's after work.    i would hit the lower basement, where the all the steals were! the upper level basement had a door i believe at street level.   later on,  in 1996 when Macys moved in to NE they occupied many of the empty Jordan Marsh stores. but Macy's and Filenes were both open at some  suburban Malls  until Filene's closed in 2005.

Honored Contributor

Macy's is a good place to take a nap in.  No customers or merchandise to get in your way.

Esteemed Contributor

I read that there are 30 Macy's stores in the greater Los Angeles area alone. Really? Talk about over-malled!

Macy's ships to Canada but I've never taken advantage of that because the shipping is expensive...like $25 U.S. dollars to ship a dress across the border. Are you kidding me? Like that's not going to happen!

My sister once gave me a Macy's gift card for Christmas. I don't think we ever went into a Macy's for a year until we made the effort to use up the gift card. I do like the Macy's in the greater Washington, D.C area as they had some nice Style & Co tops on sale but that was 2 years ago. The Macy's in the Fashion Show mall in Las Vegas is meh...no signage to figure out where you are in that mall or how to find the entrances or the bathrooms. The last time I was there, I only went in because I knew where the bathrooms were.

It's been more than 2 years since I stepped inside a Macy's at the Tacoma Mall as I don't shop at that mall when I visit relatives. I visit Marshall's and T.J. Maxx which are in strip malls.

I feel for the employees who will be losing their jobs though but I don't think I would miss Macy's if they disappeared.

Valued Contributor

never shop at macys do not like that store? plus they treat there workers pretty bad.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

We have a Macy's in my small town mall.  It is only busy when they have their Super Saturday Sale.  They do not stock any brand names,  only their house brands, so I order heavily online and return to the store.  The sales people give me the evil eye when I come in.

About 15 miles away is a larger mall with TWO Macy's in it.  When Macy's purchased Hecht's, they converted the Hecht's into Macys.  One would have to assume one of those will close.  I never understood the need for 2 Macy's in one medium sized mall.  I assume it had something to do with the lease or property ownership that they couldn't get out of.

Malls are dying.  Town Centers are the new thing.  I believe we had a thread on that topic not too long ago.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

@ashleigh dupray wrote:

@Ms X wrote:

If they close the Macy's near me, I will continue my boycott of their on-line business.  I've been boycotting Macy's since last summer.  They will never get another cent from me.

They took over where Filene's used to be.  That was always my store.  I loved to go to Filene's Basement to buy and then go upstairs mostly to browse.  It looked so much nicer than Macy's.  When Macy's took over Filene's, the exterior was very different and not at all attractive.  I won't miss it if they close it.

i spent most of my time shopping in Filene's too. loved Filene's!  when i was very young and worked in  town i would hit Downtown Crossing Filene's after work.    i would hit the lower basement, where the all the steals were! the upper level basement had a door i believe at street level.   later on,  in 1996 when Macys moved in to NE they occupied many of the empty Jordan Marsh stores. but Macy's and Filenes were both open at some  suburban Malls  until Filene's closed in 2005.

Wow! talk about a blast from the past. We didn't have JM in the N.VA./D.C area where I grew up but I discovered them when I moved to S.Fla.

Valued Contributor

In our area (Detroit metropolitan) the Macy's stores bought out Marshall Fields which bought out our Hudson stores. Everyone who remembers Hudsons loved them, I think.....at least everyone I know did. Hudsons was the place to go for really good, quality items, and they had great sales too. Marshall Fields took over and didn't change a lot. I still loved to shop there. Since Macy's has taken over, the whole store has changed. I can't find anything much I'd wear (though I did buy a pretty wool coat on line from them a couple of years ago). But when I'm in the store, it just doesn't feel like anywhere I would shop. It's hard to explain. There are stores where you walk in and just KNOW you will find what you want, and that you enjoy shopping in. Macy's is not one of them. So I'm not one bit surprised. I'm just sort of surprised to find that it isn't just me.

I'm beginning to feel the same way about JC Penney. They screwed up the entire store a few years ago. I understand they have gone back to their old merchandising style, but I haven't been in ours to see. I usually buy on line from them.

Valued Contributor

You actually expected them to move things around that store just for you?  wow!!! That's all I gotta say.

Why shouldn't she lodge a complaint about a sloppy, messy sales floor where one can't get around??   She's spending good money in the store. 

Honored Contributor

@BlingQueen022 wrote:

You actually expected them to move things around that store just for you?  wow!!! That's all I gotta say.

@BlingQueen022 - As @Q4u and @BriggsiePeawiggle have already said, I suggested to him they make the aisles wide enough for people with strollers to get through in the CHILDREN'S section! I don't think many would leave the stroller in the main aisle while they walked away to look at circular racks.

I certainly wouldn't expect them to change things just for me, and I don't think he would have had that impression at all! 

Esteemed Contributor

Did I miss a list?  I'm near a store in Bolingbrook & Joliet. 

I was never 100% in with Macy's they bought out Marshall Field's.  I loved Marshall Field's!