Occasional Visitor

Re: Macy's To Close 100 Stores Next Year

I think Macy's has a problem as a company, one they could fix if they operated more like QVC. To explain why I am saying this I must confess I use to LOVE Macy's, shopped there often and thought they were just one of the best retail stores for fashion and home products. But, that all ended when I placed an order, tried to cancel it and was told by Macy's just to refuse the order at the Post Office and as soon as they received my order back, they would refund my money. So, I did as instructed, refused the order and waited. No refund. I called customer service and was promised they were on it and my refund would be forthcoming. I repeated this call to customer service 4 more times before having to contact PayPal to arbitrate for me. FInally I received my refund, but minus $30.00. I called again and was told that it was because a top I had ordered was not in the package when my ordere was received back. I explained I never opened the package at the Post Office, it was refused as instructed so if something was missing it was at their end. Nothing happened. Called PayPal again and they stepped in and got my remaining $30.00 refunded to me. I was so glad I had used PayPal, or I believe Macy's would have kept my $100.00 ! I have not shopped with them since and will not EVER shop Macy's again because of this experience.

Honored Contributor

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

@Sweet_Serenity wrote:

Retail sales aren't the only area, Restaurants are experiencing low sales. Agree with previous comment, People are saving money. 

In my case, I stopped shopping at Macy's in 2013, when they and other retailers sent Rick Perry a letter asking him to veto a fair pay for women bill in Texas. I used to shop at Macy's but haven't spent a dime there since. The majority of their shoppers were women and if they're not going to respect the money we earn, they don't get to have any of mine.

Wow did not know this.  How awful.  I bet they never sent letters when the ceo's of these companies get raises and bonuses.  I never understand that whenever a statement is made about raising the minimum wage all of a sudden the company will say hours will be cut and less hiring.  When the head of companies get raises and perks nothing is said about that.

Trusted Contributor

I have 2 in my area.  I don't go to one because it doesn't have the full range, and the other one seemed always to be such a mess (as other posters have noted).  

Honored Contributor

I'm really sorry to hear about Macy's.... a lot of our big stores are in trouble (both in the RW and on line)....  Smiley Sad

I have sold on eBay since 2003 and I think the sellers there get a snapshot glimpse of the economy, how people are spending their cash.  There was a period where there was a ton of diisposable cash and it showed in the purchases, antiques, collectibles, high end handbags and shoes, jewelry, all kinds of exciting things.  Today my sales have gone up but it's used (and low priced) clothing, shoes, household, etc.  So people out there still need and want a new blouse but don't want (or can't) spend much more than $12 for it (mostly under $20).  It's been interesting watching this because I truly believe it's the middle class struggling to make ends meet..... 

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

@sunshine 919 wrote:

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

@Sweet_Serenity wrote:

Retail sales aren't the only area, Restaurants are experiencing low sales. Agree with previous comment, People are saving money. 

In my case, I stopped shopping at Macy's in 2013, when they and other retailers sent Rick Perry a letter asking him to veto a fair pay for women bill in Texas. I used to shop at Macy's but haven't spent a dime there since. The majority of their shoppers were women and if they're not going to respect the money we earn, they don't get to have any of mine.

Wow did not know this.  How awful.  I bet they never sent letters when the ceo's of these companies get raises and bonuses.  I never understand that whenever a statement is made about raising the minimum wage all of a sudden the company will say hours will be cut and less hiring.  When the head of companies get raises and perks nothing is said about that.

I absolutely agree! I understand more if it's a small business, like a local bookstore, small retailer, or small restaurant. But when it's Papa John's Pizza or a large company, it just makes me sad about their priorities.

Perry received letters from several companies, including Macy's Kroger's, and a few other stores I don't know the names of. I'd also boycott Kroger's, but there are none in my area.

Respected Contributor

Troubling for me, as I have a close family member in management with Macy's. 

Respected Contributor

I think Macy's has been in trouble since they bought Marshall Field's department stores and renamed them Macy's. A lot of people stopped shopping with them after the buyout.

Macy's also lost the Liz Claiborne brand.

These aren't their only problems but it didn't help sales.

Respected Contributor

I think since 2008 people are more wise on what they need and what they want.  I don't buy anything unless I am in need of it (occasionally I will splurge for a $20 or $30 item), but most of my extra money goes in savings.  You just never know when you will need it.  Sad another brick and mortar store is going by the wayside - but that's what you get when everyone buys online.  Eventually, I don't think we will have retail stores to go to, they will all disappear.  I think even the Q, and the others are suffering too. Don't think the economy is as wonderful as they are saying it is, and people are really leary these days.  If I need to replace my 13 year old car, I will be purchasing even less in the future. 

Honored Contributor

@CAMOGIRL wrote:

There is never many people in the one I shop at occasionally - VERY occasionally. It is not the products they sell, it is the people they hire that keep me away from shopping there. Totally and completely useless. I think their never ending sales have hurt them more than help them too - I think people have finally caught on that there is always some kind of sale with that store and it really is not big of a deal anymore.

@CAMOGIRL

The last couple times I was in my local Macys, the sales people were each determined to say hello to me and get me to respond.    After the 4th sales associate made it their business to get my attention, I was pretty annoyed.  

When I go into a store, I prefer to be left alone to shop.  If I need a sales person, I know how to get their attention!   I hate being hassled!

I also agree with you on the Macys one day sales on Saturday ... with a "preview" day on Friday ... LOL.    It's gotten to a point where the only time I go there is on the preview days!

Frequent Contributor

Macy's went downhill several years ago and I am not at all surprised to see stores closing.  I stopped shopping there because the quality of their merchandise, particularly clothing, took a major turn for the worse. The styles have become very dated looking and very cheaply made.  As others have commented, the stores near me are always a mess, the clothes racks all look disheveled, and the salespeople are not particularly friendly or helpful.  The company is clearly not interested in what the customer wants or they would not create such a consistently poor impression for shoppers. Who wants to dig through a bunch of junk to find something of half decent quality in an uninviting atmosphere?  Sad but true.