Honored Contributor

Macy's To Close 100 Stores Next Year

Macy's has seen a 3.9% drop in sales the second quarter of this year. Online shopping competition is mostly to blame. The chain plans to improve the shopping experience to help draw more customers back into the store, as well as to retool their website. I notice that their stores are sometimes in disarray, and sales help is hard to find. 

I hope they can turn their operation around. They are a national retail institution, and l would hate to see them go out of business!

Here's a link to a brief article:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2016/08/11/macys-second-quarter-earnings/88529042/

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Honored Contributor

Re: Macy's To Close 100 Stores Next Year

And online is saying their sales are down??

What gives?

Despite the glowing news reports of a great economy, I think people are conservative with their $$$$$

Maybe holding back until Christmas.

@handygal2 wrote:

Macy's has seen a 3.9% drop in sales the second quarter of this year. Online shopping competition is mostly to blame. The chain plans to improve the shopping experience to help draw more customers back into the store, as well as to retool their website. I notice that their stores are sometimes in disarray, and sales help is hard to find. 

I hope they can turn their operation around. They are a national retail institution, and l would hate to see them go out of business!

Here's a link to a brief article:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2016/08/11/macys-second-quarter-earnings/88529042/

Honored Contributor

The Macy's store closest to me (about an hour away) closed this past year.
"To each their own, in all things".
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Macy's has been closed here for several years now. Everytime I was in that store I never saw any crowds. So I am not surprised at all to see more closings.

When I was a kid my grandma would take us to the NYC Macy's on 34th at Christmastime. I loved their window decos! And then the parade!Woman Very Happy

Honored Contributor

We lost one too at a nearby mall, and I miss it.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Respected Contributor

I haven't shopped at Macy's in years.  The store is always a mess. 

I could never find a sales person.  If you ask for a box, they make such a big deal about it. 

Don't even get me started on the coupons...

Esteemed Contributor

I have no idea how Dillards stays in business.  There has been hardly anyone in the store close to us for years.

Honored Contributor

Retail sales aren't the only area, Restaurants are experiencing low sales. Agree with previous comment, People are saving money. 

Honored Contributor

My local store was on the last closing list.  It closed earlier this year.  It's sad to see these stores closing.  I was out and about last night and drove past our local mall.  It's like a ghost town.

Respected Contributor

There is never many people in the one I shop at occasionally - VERY occasionally. It is not the products they sell, it is the people they hire that keep me away from shopping there. Totally and completely useless. I think their never ending sales have hurt them more than help them too - I think people have finally caught on that there is always some kind of sale with that store and it really is not big of a deal anymore.

-Texas Hill Country-