Esteemed Contributor

Re: Macy's To Close 100 Stores Next Year

No loss!!!

Contributor

The last time I went in to Macy's beginning this year, I noticed a lot of the ugly clothes were from last year. I remenber trying a t shirt on last year but the fit was terrible, this was one of the items they dragged out again this year.

Respected Contributor

We have a Macy's in our local mall and it has looked like it's been going out of business for a few years. The display tables and racks always look half full. Their clearance area always looks full and disorganized. Some of the fashions look to be years and years old. They spread things out to make it look like the shelves in the cosmetic area are full when in actualality they are just carrying one or two of everything. Inventory is always low. I wonder if our store is on the hit list. Is there a list somewhere noting the stores that are closing?

Honored Contributor

The macy's in downtown Pittsburgh closed this year. They had bought out Kaufmanns and Hornes department stores that were about 100 yers old, and it broke people's hearts.

They went and bought up all the competion they could get and now they are closing their stores which leaves people no where to shop. I have to travel about 50 miles  to the far side of Sarasota to the mall to shop a Nordstroms, Dillards or Saks.I'm pretty unlikely to do that.JC Penney is about 20 miles in the opposite direction.All we have in our small town is Bells and Walmart and a bunch of small expensive boutiques designed to catch the tourist dollars.

Respected Contributor

i don't go in their B&M stores often anymore.  i used to buy most of my clothes there. Karen Kane, Alfani, RL, Eileen Fisher, Jones, when they actually sold silk suits and blouses. now the clothing is piled everywhere, the dressing rooms are a disaster, hot smelly, strewn with clothes. this bugs me:  when you ask for help they just breeze by you and say "i don't work in this dept."    so then i tried online.  so, you quickly see,  they pull the merchandise from the store sales floors and those pieces are sent.  i ordered two handbags, one came from the west coast store and had a defect, no sleeper bag, and scratches. the other one was ok.  i liked an INC top, it was the reg price and i had a coupon. i needed another size, so a SA ordered one for me and it came from Herald Square, it had a double markdown, it was shopworn and it stunk like petroleum chemicals.  at xmas i ordered a perfume gift set in a box. The gift set wasnt sealed, the lotion looked used and the box was packaged in a plain mailing envelope, no padding. it was sent from a store in Brooklyn. nothing against Brooklyn, its just the way they stuffed it in an envelope and the box was damaged and 1/2 the lotion was gone.

Valued Contributor

My local Macy's women's dept has been a mess for a few years. There are more clothes on clearance racks than on regular racks, and most of the time I am not in the mood to paw through hundreds of items to look at clothes no one else wanted or should not have been ordered to begin with. 

There was never anyone on the floor to help you find anything, and don't get me started on those coupons!  Rather than have the 45 exclusions on the back, maybe they should just tell you what you CAN use them for! 

I know our economy is supposed to be thriving, but here in Texas we are not enjoying the falling oil/gas prices, as they go along with massive lay offs across the oil and gas industy. So, I know our retail sales are suffering. The Houston Chronicle today said that housing sales are starting to suffer as well. Hopefully, that will turn around soon, but it has been ongoing for over a year, and it doesn't look good.

Honored Contributor

Macy's started to go downhill years ago when Federated Department Stores bought all of the other family-owned department stores out.

Ours is SO crowded it's pathetic! Shortly after the buyouts started and I noticed the changes, I went in to the children's department. DS was in the stroller. I couldn't get through with the stroller because there were racks everywhere. I asked an SA to speak to a manager. A young guy - probably about 21 - came out. I told him my problem, and asked if they could move some things around so the next time I came in with my son I could get through. He smiled and told me they have to get all of the merchandise in and there was nothing they could do. That's when I started going to other stores!

I have a good friend who was one of the main buyers for Macy's in Herald Square for years. She left about 2 years ago. There was too much work for too few people, and they were hiring people who were not that qualified. 

I don't buy much from Macy's any longer, and I haven't bought women's clothes for me there in years! Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@beach-mom wrote:

Macy's started to go downhill years ago when Federated Department Stores bought all of the other family-owned department stores out.

Ours is SO crowded it's pathetic! Shortly after the buyouts started and I noticed the changes, I went in to the children's department. DS was in the stroller. I couldn't get through with the stroller because there were racks everywhere. I asked an SA to speak to a manager. A young guy - probably about 21 - came out. I told him my problem, and asked if they could move some things around so the next time I came in with my son I could get through. He smiled and told me they have to get all of the merchandise in and there was nothing they could do. That's when I started going to other stores!

I have a good friend who was one of the main buyers for Macy's in Herald Square for years. She left about 2 years ago. There was too much work for too few people, and they were hiring people who were not that qualified. 

I don't buy much from Macy's any longer, and I haven't bought women's clothes for me there in years! Smiley Happy

You actually expected them to move things around that store just for you?  wow!!! That's all I gotta say.

Honored Contributor

The Macy's 34th Street is an institution, I hope it stays forever.   When I lived in NY, I worked for a company that had one of its divisions in a few offices in Madison Square Garden, right across the street.  For several years, every Thanksgiving, I'd bring my young son and a couple of his cousins downtown to my office with breakfast and they would stand on the wide inside ledge of the window with a totally unobstructed view of the Thanksgiving Day Parade.  I hate crowds, and you cannot see anything at their level from the ground, so high up was the way to go.  That's more than 20 years ago; I'll never forget their reactions as those big balloons nearly floated right up to their faces as they hovered at that corner.

Honored Contributor

@BlingQueen022 wrote:

No loss!!!

I agree - except the jobs, and that is a shame.

Macy's has gone way downhill IMO for years.  It used to be such a nice, quality store.  Now it's a mess.  Displays are a mess, salespeople are scarce, quality is not there.