Respected Contributor

Macy's/Nordstroms/Big Name Brands

Visited one our upscale malls housing both Macy's and Nordstroms.  To me, Macy's was packed with merchandise vs Nordstom had a lot but it was spread throughout the store.  I did notice that Macy's has better prices for identical merchandise, ie Brahmin handbags...certain styles discounted 25% at Macy's and no discounts at Nordstrom.

My biggest question is....if you have 3 major players in the mall (there's another big department store too I didn't mention) why would Kate Spade have a store by iteself, MAC has a store by itself, COACH had a store by itself, Michael Kors and so on.

These 3 players carry those lines yet these brands have their own store too....I realize that the department stores may have their own variation but to me, it was just some of the same ole' same ole' in every store. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Macy's/Nordstroms/Big Name Brands

More money than brains comes to mind.LOL

Respected Contributor

In my area, the trend has been for the stand alones to fold, or for the large department stores to discontinue the stand alone store lines. The stand alones have been replaced by JUNK stores, very low quality transient stores. 

Respected Contributor

Same thing at our best mall.

Honored Contributor

What I've discovered, regarding Nordstrom's, is that the identical items on their website are cheaper! Which to me is significant because they don't charge any S&H!

I've noticed that with other vendors as well.

Why do they do that??

Honored Contributor

@Andreatoo wrote:

What I've discovered, regarding Nordstrom's, is that the identical items on their website are cheaper! Which to me is significant because they don't charge any S&H!

Why do they do that??

This does happen with a lot of stores.  JJill is another where you find things cheaper on the website than in the stores.  I was told that is normal for them and the prices between on-line and the store don't match and it isn't a mistake. 

Honored Contributor

Makes sense to me.  Yes, you might see Coach handbags in Macy's but not ALL the bags Coach offers.  You will only see a very small and affordable sampling of Coach.  If I want a Coach bag, I want more than 12 bags to choose from.  In the Coach store you see many different bags and various price points and if you don't see something you like, you can view their catalog and they'll special order anything you want.  The same for MAC, the MAC store has it all.  The department stores do not.  

Honored Contributor

@Andreatoo wrote:

Why do they do that??

@AndreatooHaving been in an anchor store from 2009-2015, we were told it's to "catch the evening shoppers that are bored with tv or whatever".  

All stores are trying to build up an internet presence to keep from paying mall rent.  A warehouse is a lot cheaper.